NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam Planetary Imaging

Episkey

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good webcam for my MacBook Pro, I'm thinking of a Logitech. I really want to get into lunar and planetary imaging with a webcam instead of single shots from my DSLR. So I have a few questions.

1. Does anybody use Logitech webcams, and do you need to buy an adapter or something to fit to the telescope?

2. If I connect a webcam directly to the telescope, would I need a barlow to zoom in on the planet, or could you do that manually?

3. I saw a video where someone connected their webcam to a 8mm Baader Hyperion using PVC pipe. Would this work?

Thanks a lot for answering!

Barlows are the way to go, you need to take the lens off and add an adapter to to fit the scope. You need a ccd webcam, most are not sEnsitive enough, look for Philips spc900 posts. Nowadays there are specific little industrial cameras designed for this application e.g. Imaging source DmK series. You can't use them as a webcam but they are very good for sun, moon and planetary imaging.

Hope this helps

Peterw

If you're specifically looking for a webcam rather than a purpose-designed camera then the SPC900 is the daddy. Unfortunately they're also made of unobtainium. The ones you do see come up on ebay every so often go for stupid prices.

The alternatives depend on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend. The Xbox Live camera can be picked up off ebay for about £5 and is relatively easy to modify and add a nosepiece (same as the one used for the SPC900) to. I have some unprocessed data from one of these, but I can't say how it will compare to the SPC900.

Two options that require a fair bit more work for modding are the Lifecam Cinema and Lifecam Studio. I've done the Cinema mod and it's about an hour or so's work. For either you need some sort out housing to fit the camera into once modded. BilletParts sell purpose-made ones but they sell out quickly. I fitted mine into an old Skywatcher 25mm kit eyepiece.

There are various other cameras people are trying out -- Asda have some that they're knocking out for pennies at the moment, but I think the jury is out thus far.

James

Archived