Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

collimating without collimator ?

due to my own stupidity i am currently without a collimating tool (since ordered from FLO) and a star test shows it's way out. due to what can only be described as an extremely unlucky month for flo it hasn't arrived yet so i was wondering if there is any way i can get it anywhere near right so i can use it 'til the cheshire arrives. as i say, this is not a dig at flo, i'd just like to be able to use my scope until it arrives:o:o

Make a small hole in something that fits in the EP holder and look through it ... check you tube

Good luck

thanks knobby, i've used the cap to check the secondary and it seems fine. i didn't realise it could be used for the primary, i'll have a look and see if i can find anything on you tube

One of the things you might check, before you twiddle too much... Is the secondary mirror rotated? If there is a secondary mirror retaining clip, you can often see if this is aligned with the spider supports. If the scope has *ever* had any kind of factory setup the primary is rather less likely to slip, during transportation? My secondary had rotated a lot... A source of significant initial confusion. :)

i managed to do mine by holding my eye to the eyepiece holder focusing the tube in and out untill i just could see the primary mirror clips with my periferal vision stairing dead centre then adjust the colimation screws of the primary to bring the paper circle to center the furthest screw from reach i had to have a friend turn very slowly so that i could remain in position from start to finnish to get it any closer i think id have to use a laser collimator which im sure will get orddered when funds permit but for now looks pretty close when doing the star test..

thanks macavity, something else to check although when i use the collimating cap the secondary "offers up" a nice round circle. i also thought that once collimated (it has been about a month ago) the majority of error afterwards is usually the primary.

oh it's a steep learning curve this astronomy lark. haha

Archived