Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax Kx anyone?

That's good, cheers Rik. I will take a look and go from there. To be honest, I feel it's a bit of a minefield deciding which route to go down, and cost is a major factor also.

To compound matters further, I have a thread on my SW 8-24mm zoom EP so don't necessarily need a Baader EP (although it would be nice - but again cost!!).

I'll have a think.....

Anyone else ??!

:)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently got the basic colour Imaging Source camera, so I could start stacking images... . Trying to get my head around using registax though!

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with all the kit...My wife seems to take better photos just hovering over the eyepeice with her canon ixus!

Hello again all, update for those who have Kx or are just interested in DSLR astro...

I have purchased a T adapter which not only fits the thread on the tube assembly but it is the same size thread on my SW 8-24mm zoom - M42 0.75mm. I first tried to see if it would focus with Kx fitted directly to the tube assembly. As expected, it cannot reach prime focus.

I then went on to fit the Kx to the SW 8-24mm zoom EP via the adapter and it works a treat. Heavy, but well balanced and using live view it is easy enough to achieve focus. I have tested this today in daylight and now look forward to getting out at night (although when is anybody's guess with this darned weather).

Rik has very kindly replied before, but i also warmly welcome other's thoughts on stacking software. I will explain...

The Kx has mirror lock when using the self timer. This is a good thing. The shutter needs to close to finish the exposure and this introduces camera shake, which blurs the image anywhere slower than 1/20th second. This is a bad thing. It is not so bad at 24mm, but at 8mm, it renders the capture useless.

Now, there is a video function on the Kx which, although I haven't really used it, does work and I have tested this out. I understand that Registrax and Avi stacker have been mentioned on the forums before, but I wonder - does anyone have experience in these softwares, which is the best/easiest/least time consuming to use??

When I get opportunity, I will test the video, convert it to AVI if needed and then try to stack frames using the software as I think this is the only realistic way of doing so in the absence of a camera with an electronic shutter.

Your thoughts and input folks will be appreciated.

:(

Scott.

ps I intend to share images of Saturn as and when I manage to get any, just to update everyone as to what the set up gives.

Somehow, managed to get a 20 minute break in the clouds here last night. I managed to capture 5 photographs of the moon, using the 12 sec self timer, manual mode, manual focus, with various shutter speeds and the best one being 0.6 sec at ISO 640. My experimenting ended there with the clouds rolling in again.

I still need to do more tests at different ISO values and shutter speeds, but last night was an unexpected opportunity to test the new kit out.

The scope was not cooled properly, and neither was the 8-24mm zoom EP and I literally spotted my chance and went straight out, so I would expect better results on a cooler night with much more opportunity to experiment.

I will post the picture in a while. It is a RAW file which I need to work on so will do this shortly.

I downloaded Registrax last night but am quite bewildered as to how it works. I need to research this too, so will keep me busy.

More to follow, hopefully this is useful to some of you (thanks already to you Eastridge :D

Scott :(

Be interested to see your final image, Scott. Know what you mean about registax - not exactly intuitive for a computer illiterate like me...guess I'll have to find a manual and actually read it!

This is about the best. It is slightly blurred, but as I said, a first real effort in a short space of time. Processed from a single frame RAW file through Photoshop Elements 8. Taken with the SW 8-24mm zoom EP at 24mm.

I have tried a video in Registrax tonight (somehow managed to cobble my way through it by button bashing, but it worked).

Next step is to do more still images and video with the Kx and process both to get an end result, but I have to say it looks pretty promising and I'm leaning towards the video route at the moment, as the image/video sensor noise is removed completely in stacking. Only gripe is that the file sizes are small. Maybe I can tinker wih the settings to overcome this?

To be continued...

Scott.

post-34895-133877769013_thumb.jpg

Got it all connected yesterday - scope to Baader Hyperion 10mm to baader adapter to T ring to k-x. Used the Hyp in 2" mode to give 21.8mm and 1.25 mode giving 10mm.

Used infrared remote to trigger shots, rather than the self timer. Not sure how this relates with the mirror lock aspect that scott mentions above?

Weather was rubbish so just got some shots of trees in the distance, now await a clear night to try it on something interesting.

Eastridge,

Glad to hear that you're all connected now too. I have not had a single opportunity to get out again since!

Although when I do, I will update the thread again with the results.

Just to say, triggering the camera with the remote does not activate the mirror lock, but it does remove any vibrations from your hands/fingers pressing the shutter button. Mirror lock only works with the timer. But the remote will still lower any potential movements. Be interesting to see what results you get, although I do fear that, self timer and mirror lock would be best.

Dont discount Registrax either. I really didn't want to faff with videos, cropping, stacking etc etc but having tried one in the house and stacked frames using this software, the images really are clean and sharp, just small file sizes, so ok for small web use, but not for A4 printing or the like.

Good luck. Keep us posted!!

Scott :hello2:

Archived