Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

127 mak or 120 refractor?

I guess your other option would be a 130mm newtonian which can be had on a GOTO mount for less than £400. If the 120mm refractor is one of the short tubes I'd prefer the 127mm Mak or the 130 newtonian as both are more versatile scopes - the short tube refractors produce too much chromatic abberation to be much use for high magnification planetary / lunar viewing.

It's a shame that the GOTO requirements eats so much of your budget up - £400 would get you into 8" - 10" dobsonain territory which would out perform the GOTO scopes above by a large margin.

Hi Jon,

I'm a newb at buying telescopes myself so not sure how good my advice is but I'll give it anyway :)

My situation seems to be pretty much the same as yours ie need stuff to fit on a plane although I'm not needing goto. The solution I came up with is a mak plus a short tube refractor.

I've ordered my mak (mine is 102mm) but not the refractor as I'll be concentraing on solar system and lunar over the summer. Have you considered going for a 102mm mak and a short tube refractor for wider fields. As you need to get on a plane the skymax 102 tube is 1.9kg and a short tube refractor maybe an skytravel 80 or skytravel 102 won't add much to the weight. 3 well chosen eyepieces could be shared between the tubes.

For the mount I've seen the celestron lcm goto mount being sold seperately. This has a published weight limit of 3 kilos and appears (although I haven't seen one in the flesh so to speak) a lot less bulkier than the skywatcher az goto mount and maybe more suited to putting in the hold luggage

By choosing a smaller mak and a short tube refractor you can have the best of both worlds with field of view and the celestron lcm mount appears to be smaller for travel. I'm going for a similar set up but using an eq2 mount when at home and an az3 mount when travelling.

Archived