CCD Webcams

Hi Guys. Are the only webcams that are suitable for use with a telescope of the CCD variety or can CMOS also do the trick. A lot of the CCD webcams seem to be of the older models (looking at ebay) and I think a lot of astro immagers know what they are looking for and the prices go crazy for an old webcam that probably only cost a fraction of what they are fetching now. :)

The favoured webcam is the SPC900, or the SPC880 modded with the SPC900 firmware. These don't appear to be available new any more and do fetch high prices second-hand, partly because they're very good cameras for planetary imaging and partly because it's possible to modify them for long exposures which makes them more suitable for guiding and DSO imaging.

The Xbox Live camera is currently available for about £5 and is relatively straightforward to modify. It's the same resolution as the SPC900, but the sensor is more noisy. It seems to be fairly popular at the moment.

The Lifecam Cinema also appears to be seeing some use, but is more complex to modify and more expensive to start with. It is higher resolution than the other two cameras, but I've no idea how it performs, never having used one. The Lifecam Studio may also work.

Other than that I believe some people are using some of the Logitech cameras (QuickCam 4000?). That's about all I'm aware of.

James

I've also been playing around with a Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 (CMOS) which is available for ~£12 on Amazon . Seemed to work OK with my first attempt last night on Saturn (check out my other thread on the VX-5000)

Mike

all these images were done with the microsoft lifecam studio hd converted for telescope use (lens removed) and re assembled to fit as required the cam cost me £50 and the housing £30 so far only any good for moon shots but will be having a bash at the sun when my solarfilm arrives its no good for dso's tried it on orions nebula with very poor results..

Stargazers Lounge - basher0010's Album: March Moon

and this is how the cam looks after conversion..

Modified ms lifecam studio hd | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

hope this helps..

Wow..... I kept my eye on a Philips webcam on Ebay it was a SPC900NC as recommended buy some of you guys and it sold for £117 I just cant believe they are fetching soooo much. I bet there are people out there with old webcams stuffed at the back of a cupboard and dont realise they are worth so much nowadays. :)

Yes, I was idly watching it just to see what it would go for. As I've posted elsewhere, once you've added in the price of a nosepiece, IR filter and the postage on the lot you're well on the way to the price of a second hand DFK21 which is really a far better camera.

And given the cost of a used 350D, say, I can't even see that it really makes sense for an LX mod at that price.

If the price goes up much more I will be selling at least the ones I've not butchered too much and buying a DFK with the proceeds.

James

Saw on you tube where someone built one of these using an old webcam and a 35mm film canister. I'm planning on giving all this a go when i finally get my scope.

Can i ask, does the camera fit over an eyepiece or do you use it instead of an eyepiece?

Wow..... I kept my eye on a Philips webcam on Ebay it was a SPC900NC as recommended buy some of you guys and it sold for £117 I just cant believe they are fetching soooo much. I bet there are people out there with old webcams stuffed at the back of a cupboard and dont realise they are worth so much nowadays. :)

I'm selling one for a lot less than that, was it LX modded?

What is it about certain webcams that make them better than others? I know you get better photos with a higher pixel rate and better resolution, is it the same for this kind of photograpy? or are we looking for something that works better in low light?

It's the sensor, some have a CCD sensor which is much better for very low light work, most have a CMOS sensor which are getting better but won't handle the low light you have at night.

The Philips are also popular because they can easily be modified for long exposure shots.

Archived