Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't open Canon CR2 raw files.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and this question has probably been asked before but my 'search' skills are a bit lacking. I have a Canon Rebel T3i. I took a series of photographs in Canons CR2 raw format. I had hoped to use the raw files in DSS. When I tried to open the raw files in DSS all I got was a thin vertical black strip. I tried DSS beta version also and still got the same results. Is there a simple (I'm not a computer genius) way to convert the Canon raw CR2 format to a format that DSS will recognize? It is my understanding that if you convert a raw file to tiff file to make it usable in a program, i.e. DSS you do lose a certain amount of post exposure processing control, maybe not the 'amount' of data in the file, but how your able to use or manipulate some of that data. I was unable to find any information in the DSS help menu about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

I did convert one image to a tiff and it did open in DSS. I guess that DSS and Canon T3i CR2 raw files, at least from my camera anyway are not compatible with the DSS program. Is there anyway to fix that?

Tim

I'm sorry, I should have made the topic "Can't open CR2 raw files in DSS". I can open then in Canons DPP program, but that doesn't help. The problem is I can't open those files in the DSS program.

Didn't you get the Canon EOS utility disk with your camera ??? It has an included software that can open and work with CR2s ( I have a Canon, too) You can also buy converter software online.

hmmmm, the Canon DPP software will convert all your raw pictures to 16-bit tiff or jpeg for you. You can then load then into just about any astro processing program you like.

The learning curve is going to be a bit harder now, I can't open the 'help' menu in the beta version of DSS. I'll reload the regular version of DSS and use that help menu, maybe there is a glitch in the beta version, or maybe it's me.

Archived