NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn 15th April

Moonshane

Hi all

Had a brief look at Saturn last night for around half an hour and despite the low elevation, the views were intermittently pretty good when due south. Managed to see some good colour (purplish to my eyes) and banding on the disc and also the Cassini Division was 'almost solidly' seen for quite a good period. This is an object which, no matter how many times I actually see it, makes me gasp when the seeing clears.

For only the second time I managed to see the third ring, the inner so-called crepe ring or C ring which is a fine misty grey shading between the inner ring (the B ring) and the disc.

All with my 6" f11 newt and 8mm / 10mm Radians (200x and 160x).

Hope you all got good views too.

cheers matey - the f11 nature of the 6" helps with the collimation I reckon. The fact the planet was low too means I got lucky I think. It's truly spectacular when any of the three decent planets (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) goes sharp even for a second or two and intermittently. It makes the other fuzziness worthwhile!

Archived