NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium Frames per second.

wella

Ladies and Gents,

Just downloaded Stellarium (version 0.11.2) and its S...L...O...W

Im getting about 1 or 2 frames per second only. Is this normal? What do other people get?

Ive made sure nothing else major is running (boinc manager off etc) but its slow. I seem to remember i got about 60 fps on the work laptop and this is a fast desktop that its slow on.

Im on windows 7 64bit.

Paul

I wasn't really aware of the FPS rate but my old version of Stellarium seems to run from about 10fps upto 175 ish. I haven't yet tried the latest version. Did your older version run much more quickly?

This in on Windows 7 64 bit.

Could the problem be your graphics card? On my 8 yr old previous desktop (XP) Stellarium was very - very slow and clunky so I recently had a new PC built locally. I did specify a decent graphics card and an ASUS ATI Radion 6670 HD 800MHz 1GB was fitted.

Stellarium now is very fast and smooth.

I am not a computer wizard but perhaps an exploration of your graphics card may bear fruit. What are other folks speeds?

My desktop is a Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775, FSB1066 4MB and a Connect 3D X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 DVIx2 VIVO PCI-E graphics card. Both bought in March 2007 when I built the PC. Ive got 4GB of Ram installed.

Now I know it isn't the fastest but surely I should be getting more than single figure FPS??

Paul

My desktop is a Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775, FSB1066 4MB and a Connect 3D X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 DVIx2 VIVO PCI-E graphics card. Both bought in March 2007 when I built the PC. Ive got 4GB of Ram installed.

Now I know it isn't the fastest but surely I should be getting more than single figure FPS??

Paul

Yes you should, I run a laptop with a similar spec Core 2 / 256MB graphics / 4 GB Ram and Vista 32. Stellarium runs happily at about 75-80 FPS. It runs at a similar speed in Linux Ubuntu.

Bloatware may be slowing your machine down with too many processes running in the background, try and keep your start up programmes to a minimum. Also when was the last time you checked your registry ? Windows registry is a nightmare and can cause all sorts of problems. Download and run this Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Safely scan and repair registry problems - Spyware FREE. and see if you have any improvement. Report back with how many registry errors there were.

Paul

I have win 7 64bit quad core with 4gb ram and a standard graphics card. I get typically 50 - 60 fps.

I am not sure what the significance of this is though. I have had it running at 15 fps and didn't really notice any great difference.

Ladies and Gents,

Just downloaded Stellarium (version 0.11.2) and its S...L...O...W

Im getting about 1 or 2 frames per second only. Is this normal? What do other people get?

Ive made sure nothing else major is running (boinc manager off etc) but its slow. I seem to remember i got about 60 fps on the work laptop and this is a fast desktop that its slow on.

Im on windows 7 64bit.

Paul

Unless you have a Virus scan running in the background, I'd say download a different version.

I've got a similar spec laptop and haven't had any performance problems.

Before you start messing with anti virus / registry cleaners, check your graphics card driver version, and update as necessary. That graphics card is more than likely the source of the problem. While running registry cleaners etc might help, it's highly unlikely that you'll get anything more than a 1 FPS improvement. To be honest I'd leave these for last. So first order of business, check and update your graphics card drivers. If that doesn't help, try removing stellarium completely, downloading the latest version, and installing it fresh. If you still have a problem, you'll want to check Stellarium troubleshooting FAQs and/or their tech support forums, to see if anyone had a similar problem and how they went about resolving it.

I am downloading the latest drivers for the graphics card

Windows 7 isnt supported so it will have to be vista 64 bit.

Might be time for a new graphics card when funds allow

Ill report back.

I never thought to check FPS, so i get 15fps when it idles, but as soon as i move the mouse or press a function Key (F3) it goes to 60fps then returns to 15fps after a couple of seconds, that's really neat....Win 7 64bit, 8 gig ram, Duo Core 2.80Ghz, GTX 260 G/Card

Ok so I've updated the graphics card drivers and its now running at a stable 60 fps.

Thanks for all your help!

Paul

Glad to hear updating the drivers worked, and clear (digital and otherwise) skies!

According to this, Stellarium can have problems with certain older graphics cards:

FAQ - Stellarium Wiki

Try googling around for your problem a bit and see if you can find a solution. Right now it seems the choice is between bad FPS and unreadable fonts, both of which are unacceptable. The good news is that even today's low end cards will easily outperform the one you have, most likely won't have the same problem, and can be had for a small amount of money. Consider replacing your graphics card as the last resort option if you can't find a software / driver solution that works for you.

Archived