Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't get polaris

I have a C11 on a EQ6 , I've had it about 5 years but I've never been able to get it to point to Polaris , the gotos and tracking are pretty good , it's all set up properly post aligned ect. If I tell the handset to go to Polaris it gets it in the finder but I can never get it in the eyepiece if I try and manually slew to it by the buttons on controller it doesn't seem to want to point to it, it seems like the mount is not moving to it although you can here the motors whiring, so I'm I right in thinking this is caused by cone era?

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Equatorial mounts have a blind spot at the celestial pole. Which is roughly where Polaris is. Try it with a manual equatorial mount and you'll still have trouble getting Polaris in the eyepiece. It's possible, but does require a bit of creativity :)

Ok thanks for that Newman , it just seems strange not being able to view Polaris as it is used alot for collimating purposes , does anyone else with an eq6 have this problem?

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with a GEM mount will have this problem, so that should include the EQ6. Getting Polaris in the polar scope isn't the same as getting it in the eyepiece - it's just a small drawback of the design.

Archived