Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox vs Evostar Pro ED fracs

So what's the difference?

I can only make out the following between the 120ED versions of an Equinox or the cheaper Evostar Pro and looking from a purely visual requirement:

Optics

Apparently exactly the same, except the equinox's objective is hand finished and under goes a ronchi star test.

But does this make the equinox optically superior?

Focuser

The equinox has a more expensive rotatable crayford.

But many owners still replace with another such as moonlite at significant extra cost...

Build

Equinox has a superior build quality.

But does this make a massive difference, it's not like the newer black/white version Evostar Pro is going to fall apart is it?

Accessories

Evostar Pro has the standard SW see thru finder and diagonal, both of which or likely better would need to be added to the cost of the equinox.

Price

Equinox £250 more and extra outlay for the accessories but assuming that both will need a better focuser than supplied.

Is there anything I've missed here?

Obviously out of the 2 the equinox is the most attractive scope and the tested optics and quality build are pluses, but does it justify the extra price plus extra accessories outlay (could be £1800+ if adding finderscope, diagonal, and a moonlite).

If the supplied equinox focuser was a keeper it'd kind of make sense, but to have to replace what is meant to be a better focuser than the standard I'm struggling to get it:confused: Maybe if they sold the equinox at a lower price minus the focuser....

I don't know but would be interested to hear the views of others who have no doubt already gone down this path.

Guess I'm already swinging towards the Evostar Pro, replacing the focuser and possibly the diagonal but need a wise nudge in the logical direction:D

I cannot speak of the Equinox 120ED, but the Evostar 120ED is a gem of a scope, even without using a reducer on it, you'll get nice round stars to the edge & tell you the truth the stock focusers are not really that bad what people make out. The optics are sound & solid, Sometimes the stock focusers just need a tweak... I think for the ratio of value/performance it's hard to beat...

The Equinox is the nicer scope by far but even the 'better' focuser has it's short comings especially if you intend to do any serious astrophotography. I haven't yet looked into how to mechanically improve mine but the focus shifts a miniscule amount when you lock it up. It may be a simple fix- but at nearly £1400 new you might expect better?

Optically the two are meant to be the same, whether better test optics are selected for the flagship scope I can't comment. The optics are fine on mine with only a residual amount of CA- the next step up would be a non-buget triplet apo costing 3x as much.

Archived