How good are Libraries??

I dropped into MK library yesterday to renew my kids books and I decided to see what astro books they had in.

They had a pretty good range of about 20 or 30 titles but no Turn Left at Orion, which by consensus on here is the best book for the back garden astronomer.

I asked at the desk and it wasn't on their list but for 70p they said they would buy it for the library and drop me an e-mail when hey had it in.

Result!!!:D

Do you know I find that hard to believe, one of the most promoted and well read books in Astronomy, what are these library people doing, if you had said it was lent out at the time of your visit, that would be understandable, but not in stock, Wow ! anyway well done :D

John.

i had my copy of that yesterday, was reluctant to buy as im not a huge book reader and it isnt the cheapest book around but its quite substantial... far bigger than i expected so im happy.

our libraries in south wales have a free request service where they will get books in from any other libraries in the area. or you can use their searchable website and request that way but they charge 50p for online requests...

i do find it strange they dont have it though, i live in a smallish village and ive published several books on the village and our library service has bought around a dozen copies of each for their collections.

Our library in Witney is shockingly poor with it's range of astro books. It's all of about 3 books thats is. None of them particularly useful. And most definately not TLaO

ETA -

"Your request has been successfully submitted".

:D

mine isnt great- i went in for some study material on astro-physics, and apart from the standard brian cox sort of guide-y stuff there wasnt much

i would do the pay 70p or whatever it is, but id rather save and buy a copy to keep

Why should they have a copy of it?

I am one of those that bought it after someone I work with suggested it, looked through it and wondered what all the hype was about. Then went and bought something I found useful. Haven't opened TLAO in over 2 or 3 years.

I recieved my copy as a gift 2 years ago and I do use it when I want to plan my obseving session. I usually just go out and look up. We have a copy at our library along with many other Astronomy books along with current copies of both Astonomy and Sky and Telescope magazines.

Libraries are generally good and well funded in Spain but you're restricted to only borrowing for a fortnight, or so, and although you can re-borrow, it gets a pain.

I enjoy reading stuff, always have a load of different books on the go, and over the years have built quite a collection. If I want to read it, I'll buy it or download it on my Kindle.

Archived