Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap Guide assembly

JKB

Well I've had the ST80 for ages and been using the provided rings bolted to the top rings of the 150P. Of course this meant no adjustment in relation to main scope. As I'm a bit tight I didn't want to spend £60 for some guide rings so had a cunning plan.........

Using a 100mm PCV pipe joiner thing I found in the DIY store I made an support for the rear of the ST80. The inside has a thick rubber membrane that the ST80 is held by and x3 5mm long bolts threaded through provides the adjustment. Front of mount sits in original ring which has enough play for movement.

So far so good and have adjusted guide to line up with main. Hopefully will test properly tonight!

Cheers

Jamie

post-24182-133877762093_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877762103_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877762111_thumb.jpg

That looks very interesting :D I have my ST80 hard mounted with it's original rings but haven't been able to try it yet. One thing I have found is that it's very difficult to focus - tried it on terrestrial target in the daytime, using QHY5 guide camera. I'm just hoping is a bit easier on a bright star.

Interesting solution !!

I've got mine in standard fixed rings. So far only been 1 occassion where I haven't found a guide star.

Gina - oh yes - you'll know when you've got that focus right though. I don't change mine at all, when brining it in I keep the focuser tube int he same place ........

Gina - oh yes - you'll know when you've got that focus right though. I don't change mine at all, when brining it in I keep the focuser tube int he same place ........
Thanks :D Fortunately, I don't need to bring mine in - it just gets parked at the end of a session and the roof closed.

Archived