Explorer 200P newbie questions please :)

Hi All

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now, reading just about everything that gets uploaded into this section.

Having upgraded from my Celestron Binos recently, I have purchased a SW Explorer 200P EQ5 for my first scope purchase. Set up is going really well, and can you believe I had clear skies last night for its arrival.

There are a few issues I seem to be having though and im hoping you experts can clear them up :D

1. I can't align the finderscope accurately enough. I find my object in the main scope with a 25mm EP, then the finderscope is way off, but the adjustment screws dont have enough play in them to get the object centred in the crosshair. Tinkered with the silver holding plug on the finderscope but it still doesnt release enough 'room' for me to apply the accuracy needed to centre the object

2. The altitude adjustment screws dont seem to allow the mount to move below 30deg. The front screw goes in a long way but then just tightens and doesnt apply any angle change to the mount. The back screw seems to alter the angle upwards beyond 30deg OK though. Is this right or have I missed a step ?

3. When using the main scope in 1. above to align the finderscope the image was upside down (which I know is fine) but also at a slight angle of about 30 degrees or so. Is this also normal or are my settings out ?

Many thanks

Liz

hi cant help with #2 (as from my garden i cant go anywhere near as low as 30deg let alone lower lol) or #3 but for #1 i found the mount that the finderscope attaches to is easily misaligned and when i first got it had the same problem as you, make sure the mounting block is parallel to the top of the focuser and tighten up the screws holding it - hopefully that should sort out your problems.

For #2 you set the altitude to your location one time and leave it. I.e. my latitude is 46 degrees. This is used to polar align the scope as Polaris will always be at that altitude.

You then use the declination axis to point "up & down" in the sky.

That's as much as I know, maybe some one can enlighten us with more details.

itlee.

Re question 2, once the first bolt reaches it maximum tightness, you should release the opposite bolt to allow more room to further tighten the first. I have both bolts tight up to each other once I have reached my latitude; 51 degrees.

However I have found that when aligning to polaris with the supplied polar scope I have to revisit these bolts for fine tuning.

Re aligning the finder scope, have you made sure the O-ring is in the groove at the front of the finder mount. When this in correctly it acts as a pivot to allow the screws to align the finder. You will find it easiest to align your finder during the day using a distant object, pylon, church tower, chimney or similar, these don't move. When you have aligned using the 25mm eyepiece do the same with your highest power eye piece.

Where are situated? Assuming somewhere in northern Europe you won't need to set your altitude below 30 degrees. Find your latitude and set the altitude at this. Once this has been set, apart from minor adjustment when polar aligning, it never needs to be altered. To view objects use the declination and right ascension controls to point.

HTH.

In query 2, you don't use these silver bolts in stargazing, they are for the latitude setting only, there are black plastic quick release levers for moving the telescope tube up and down, and also from side to side.

Brilliant, thank you everyone. Dazza it was the mounting block that was the problem, had to jiggle it until it landed squarely at the right angle.

I'm in Milton Keynes, so I've set my alt to 52degrees.

I was trying to set it lower, as that was what the instructions were in the set up manual - between 15 and 30deg to focus something in the daylight on my horizon.

Still not quite sure that I've got the 'home' position set up correctly, the counterweights arent always pointing the direction I'm looking...

Hi Liz,

Agreeing with the concerns of Starlight's reply, can I draw your attention to a question somebody posted on the forum in September 2010 regarding how to set up the 200P scope and EQ5. Luckily some of the rplies to his question included some images which I thought you might find interesting, you can see them here. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived