Fitting a Telrad - Advice

Just received my Telrad finder this week and wanted a little advice before fitting it to my Celestron 130EQ

1. If leave the exisitng RDF in place the Telrad will sit just behind it and is not obscured, so should I remove the existing RDF or just leave it in place?

2. Will the Double sided tape secure the Telrad enough or am I better drilling holes and bolting it to the scope?

3. Should the Telrad be up at the front or rear of the scope ?

Many Thanks

Tony

Tony ,

1. I put my Telrad on the right of the RDF on my 130eq.

2. The sticky tape is very strong, I used that, it kept the base in place well and I just screwed the top on each night and it stayed well alligned with the scope.

3. Stick it up near the RDF/Top otherwise you will have to crouch down.

4. The small end points at the sky (i've put it on backwards a lot :-) )

Perry.

I would try it with sticky tape first (NOT the sticky pads supplied!) so you could move it around and find the spot that you find most convenient. Then stick it down with the pads - which are extremely difficult to remove and impossible to reuse.

I believe you can buy spare bases so maybe a second one would help in some circumstances.

I'd also recommend sticking it into position with something easily removed like electrical tape and try it in different positions until you're happy with it. It's a pretty light weight piece of kit.

I've still not got around to putting the sticky pads on mine.

Tyr

I mounted my Telrad to one side of the Finder scope, then a 2nd base the other side of the focusor, being a Newt i spin the tube and this allows for moving the unit from one base to another, its aligned ok in either base and the supplied sticky pads work fine, i think there designed for a 6-8" tube the way there angled..

I used cable ties to secure mine, that way i can easily move it if i want and no sticky residue to worry about.

Jo :(

cable ties :D, work well. also, if the rdf is the original that came with the scope , it can be removed easily from the housing,just keep it somewhere safe.if you ever sell it or upgrade ,you can reattach. no need to leave it on with a telrad,you'll never use that rdf.

Archived