Computer help, pretty please!

ollypenrice

Uh-oh. I opened Pixinsight to find that the toolbar had vanished and won't come back by clicking on the top bar. Harry said to reset the settings in Pixinsight Core ...but that has disappeared from the 'All Programmes' list. All my other programmes are there. Yet PI still opens, if not with all its faculties.

This is Windows 7 I'm running.

I want to uninstall V1.6 and reinstall the latest version but how do I unistall it if it isn't on the list??

Thanks in advance to any pitying soul who can advise. I am not good with IT so words of one syllable preferred!!

Olly

OK, have you tried using control panel..add & remove programs..to find the control panel, click on the start button..then look for the icon says add & remove programs, ( I have not got window 7, but it should be there in some format ) windows then will list all the programs on your system, look for the program you want, then hi light it and you should have the option to remove it...once this is done you could re download that program again..

Good luck and hope this is of some sort of help

If I understood you correctly, the thing that is actually missing is the program's link from the start menu's all programs. You should still be able to perform an unistall by going to your control panel, and selecting "uninstall a program" (what skywatcher1701 is saying is essentially correct, it's just for older versions of windows - it's named a bit differently in Windows 7). This should bring up a list of everything you have installed, simply find it and hit "uninstall". If the program isn't on this list either, it's not registered with windows so you should be able to just manually delete it's folder.

Thanks all but the programme simply isn't there to delete! Except that it IS there because I can open it.

If I go to Control Panel, Delete Programmes, I get a long list and Pixinsight Core (or Pixinsight anything else) simply is not on that list, not is it on the list in All Programmes under the start menu.

Harry, bless you once again, your Ctrl trick has re-initialized PI and restored my toolbar but it is still not listed either under Programmes in the Start menu or in the list of Programmes in the Delete Programmes list in Control Panel. Do I dare try to install the newer version without deleting the old 'phantom' version?

Olly

I would install over the top Olly, perhaps choosing a different location to the original if prompted ? You should be able to locate the exisiting pixinsight installation location by 'exploring' your C: drive.

I would try a Win 7 roll back to the last time it saved its self, there should be a date when this last happened so you will know what might also get cleaned out, i believe i'm right when i say it doesn't delete data, just resets the register...if you can do a system back up just in case...

If an app isn't registered in Windows, you can pretty much manually delete it at will. Installing at a different location should work as well. Doing a system restore over this would be complete overkill.

Or if that doesn't work you could delete PI from within Win Explorer from where ever you installed it (Program File>etc>etc). Then run ccleaner (free download) and clean then windows registry and the reinstall PI.

Also sometimes ccleaner allows you to unistall apps that Windows cannot...

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Olly, how are you opening pi? If it's via an icon, right click it, choose properties, then click on teh shortcut tab, at teh bottom left there should be a button that says 'open file location', that will then open the folder that pi is in. From there, lookin in the folder for a uins000.exe, or uninstall.exe etc. just deleting stuff is never a good idea if you don't know how the application was installed in the first place, although with an app. like PI it's unlikely to cause you too many issues if you decide that it's the only way. I would also backup any settings files at this point and I might consider searching the registry (if you're comfortable doing that) for references to pixinsight too but this is only if you have to hand delete it, before doing that i would try a reinstall over the top though.

Archived