NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Space debris?

Cloudwatcher

Following the 'terrierist' attack on my HEQ5 by the 'Hound from Hell' a few days ago I had the opportunity last night to test the sidereal tracking. It seemed fine for visual observation so I decided to do a quick imaging test before the clouds returned. Chose a star at random that was easy to focus in the 350D's view finder and took a short exposure. Checked the result on the cameras preview screen and it seemed OK although I noticed a flaw on the right hand side that I thought might be a hair in the works. A more subtle attack by the fourlegged one! :lol:

Anyway, after subjecting the image to my usual brutal attentions in PS I think the 'Hair' may be space debris reentering

the atmosphere or possibly a meteor. The area of the image has been enlarged and enhanced so ignore the bloated stars.

793_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Is it one or tuther or should I book the dog a one way ticket to Battersea? :D

CW

What's the field orientation? Would this object have traveled from west to east or some other way? If west to east, it could easily be debris. If other, could be a meteor. If it shows in another similar exposure...where's Battersea?

Battersea is a part of South London that's known for two things. Battersea Power Station (as seen on the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' LP) and Battersea Dogs (and Cats) home.

Tony..

What area of sky?

I only ask because i saw something similar last night aroun 10.45pm about halfway between polaris and cassiopea, travelling SSE ish

it seemed to burn brightly and then fade to a dim light and then disappear.

thought it might have been an iridium flare but nearest one was due 22.18 west of me not east

What's the field orientation? Would this object have traveled from west to east or some other way? If west to east, it could easily be debris. If other, could be a meteor. If it shows in another similar exposure...where's Battersea?

I think that the line of travel would have been West...ish. I'm afraid I can't do better than that. I didn't get a visual and only became aware of the 'intruder' when viewing the image and even then my first thought was that it was an 'artifact'.

I don't recall the Comeuppence song although a fan of F&S. My reference to 'Battersea' was biased toward the Dogs Home! :D

CW

What area of sky?

I only ask because i saw something similar last night aroun 10.45pm about halfway between polaris and cassiopea, travelling SSE ish

it seemed to burn brightly and then fade to a dim light and then disappear.

thought it might have been an iridium flare but nearest one was due 22.18 west of me not east

Funny you should say that cos i was outside at exactly the same time and saw the same thing too! I saw it inbetween the big dipper and polaris! Going from polaris to the edge star of the big dipper!

Darren :D

Archived