saturn with webcam

Certainly possible. You may need a little more exposure or gain to capture Saturn, its not as bright as Venus or Mars. Also harder to get in the fov. Its not as bright and the sensor will take longer to react, if it flits across, you will not see it.

thats a good picture, im still having no luck with saturn, im just using sharpcap defult settings, i managed to pick it up out of focus but then i couldnt find it again

could you take a very quick pic of venus and mars ? my pictues look nothing like that in detail

ahh! just spent a fruitless 30 mins trying to get Saturn using xbox webcam & sharpcap - never thought of fiddling with the gain - doh!

mind you, trying to keep everything still & centred using a camera tripod is masochistic in the extreme!

first time I've actually seen saturn though - wow!

Charlie,

These are the settings I've used with my 130;

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-7

Brightness=48

Contrast=23

Saturation=-3

Gamma=0

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=32

And the result;

post-30472-133877761487_thumb.jpg

ive just managed to get 3 videos of saturn, just looks like two things poking out either side so its a matter of getting the best video and putting it through registax im guessing ?

what i did notice was that with a 130p dob its marginal (the distance you have the poles) as to wether do pick saturn up or not ... very hard, hopefully i have enough footage to have a decent picuture now though!

am i doing something wrong with registax ?

heres what i do ... 1. select video 2. pick frame. 3. align points. 4. click align 5. click limit. 6. click stack (maybe twice)

heres a picture of saturn i got, being my first time taking a real good picture i dont know if its any good ... i tried venus and mars earlier but no great pictures of them

heres the one i got of saturn ... nothing great (using skywatcher 130p) have to zoom in, its at the top.

SATURN.bmp

Lolz.

I've just spent three hours trying to just get Saturn into the FOV with an almost identical setup to yours, Charlie. Three times, it just whipped across the screen thanks to my clumsy adjustments. So if you've managed to actually get it centred so you can see the ears, I'd say you're doing well so far.

I finally gave in due to burgeoning cloud cover, but it got me thinking about slow controls and worm gears and clutches and suchlike - actually being able to massage it into the FOV rather than jerk & luck.

Having said that, It looks glorious (if rather tiny) through the 10mm, so I may just give afocal a go with a camera adapter.

I could say it was a wasted evening as I didn't achieve the result I was after, but I've been outside on a beautiful spring evening with a bottle of pink wine watching Saturn fly by through the gaps in the clouds. I can't honestly say that it was time wasted.

If the weather holds, same agin tomorrow :)

haha! its not all bad, atleast you had a good evening and some wine

i found out somehting interesting tonight ... i can view saturn from my bedroom with all the upstairs lights out, which is a massive advantage as its toooo cold for me tonight!

i doubt i will get a better picture then what i already have tonight, its too time consuming for me.

aim for tomorrow is:

decent picture of venus

picture of jupiter and maybe moons -- how did you manage to get a picture of jupiter with the 2 strips going across it ? or even pick u p the stripe ? i only see a white ball with a few tiny dots as moons

im thinking about getting up one morning when its forecasted to be good - to try and find mercury. i see saturn from my garden at 8:30pm so i might have a good chance of seeng mercury ?

Also, having gone through several gigabytes of nothing on registax in search of a good frame, I did find one where my ham-fisted handling of the scope caused Saturn to make a light trail almost exactly like a comically oversized... appendage.

Made my night. And no, I'm not posting a pic. :)

Archived