NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I may have scored on Astroboot

JamesF

I bought a broken pair of 10x50 bins on Astroboot for a grand total of £8 with a view to using the parts to build two 10x50 finders.

Now they've arrived, it looks like what I have is a pair of Helios Naturesport Plus 10x50WA binoculars and the only fault I can find is that the diopter adjustment on the right eyepiece slips. Given that these are a pretty decent pair of bins and not exactly cheap to buy new I'm therefore inclined to attempt a repair rather than butcher them, especially as my existing non-astro pair suffered a fall and the prisms broke loose when the office flooded ten days ago.

It looks like the actual problem is that the eyepiece cup assembly doesn't grip on the lens assembly meaning that the cup turns but the lens assembly doesn't when I try to adjust them. I could glue the two together fairly easily, but as far as I can see it looks like the "proper" fix would be to remove the twist-up eyecup and tighten the grub screws intended to lock the two together.

Does anyone know if this is the correct thing to do (I'm really only guessing from what I can see of the internals) and how the necessary parts of the eyecup might be removed to give access to the grub screws if that is the case?

James

Give it a go, the worst that can happen is that you still have a pair of binos that doesn't work as they should!! See how tight the grub screw is when the cup is removed, that should tell you if that is the problem or not. Good luck and well done on getting a decent pair of bins.

Indeed well worth seeing if they can be fixed... I dont know if the twist up cup is the same as on the Naturesport Monoculars ? On mine the platic inner ring had split and somone had goe mad with glue trying to fix it.. you should (if you haven't already) be able to remove the outer rubber cover from the mechanism...

I was impresed with the View through the monocular... So Good luck with the bins :)

Peter...

I peeled off the rubber cover which revealed three brass screws that locate the cups. Unscrewing them allowed the cup to be removed which gave me access to three tiny grub screws that lock the cup onto the lens assembly. I tightened those up a fair bit and put everything back together (just need to see if I can find some glue to fix the rubber back on with now) and they appear to work just fine.

Now I just have to order some more bits for my finder scopes :)

James

Archived