NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buying and using software

Hi,

I was originally going to ask about photoshop but thought it might be good to discuss the alternatives too.

My question on photoshop is, which version and is it worth it?

I use Canon software to import my photo's and to process them and so far its been pretty good. The only thing extra I would like is special effects like vignetting (obviously not for astro!).

I now use DSS to stack images (only done two so far M45 and M31) and it works.

So back to original question - photoshop worth it?

I almost bought it at the weekend but the only thing that stopped me was not knowing if it was the right version or not.

I wouldn't want to buy a version and then have to buy another one to get effects or stacking etc.

Just my 2-pence: a good alternative is The Gnu Image Manipulation Program (The GIMP).

Plus points:

• It is FREE!
  • It does most of the same stuff as PS
  • There is a large support community

Minus points:

• The user interface is a little unintuitive (but getting better)
  • Only supports 8 bits per channel (PS supports 16 & 32 bits)
  • Several others that may or may not be important to you.

13 Reasons to choose GIMP over Photoshop! | Unixmen

For my non-intensive needs, the Gimp seems to work fine and the price makes it a no-brainer but it may not be for you.

--- Alistair.

Yes, I didn't realise it was only 8-bit until recently. But that is 8 bits per channel I believe, which is effectively 24-bit colour.

If you have spent £5000 on your imaging setup then it is worth spending £600 on photoshop.

If on the other hand you are a rank amature and have only spent a few hundred pounds and you are just starting out...

I certainly eagerly await the time that the gimp goes to 16 or 32 bits per channel but I also suspect that I won't be able to tell the difference.

--- Alistair

Archived