NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cannon 350 D

steelfixer

Well I have taken the plunge into Dslr imaging.

Bought myself a 350 D.

Can anyone enlighten me on what software I need to download to run this from my computer.

I have had a look on the Cannon website and there are so many downloads I am now completely confused.

I am running windows XP pro.

Alternatively if any one knows where I can get hold of a set of discs that would have come with this camera originally I would be most greatful.

Many thanks

Graham

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need a USB lead and a serial shutter lead to control the camera's exposures over 30 sec. If you are good at electronics it's simple to make with a 4N25 Opto-Isolator and a few connectors. To give you some idea have a look at Computerized Shutter Control of Canon DSLRs Alternatively you can buy commercial cables (Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions) for example for around £20

To control the camera there are two main applications favored by members here. BYE (Backyard Exposure) and APT (Astro-photography tool). Both have trial options, and the license fee is only a few quid if you want to continue using it or, in the case of APT, unlock the full version.

I run XP and found I did not have to install any drivers at all, Backyard just connected and recognised my camera. I use a Canon 1000D and only need a usb lead to the pc, this allows me to control all the camera functions with the exception of "mirror lock up enabling". I can download the subs/images direct to the observatory pc where they go in a shared folder, this allows me to sit in the house and see the subs come in in real time for reviewing.

Thanks Malcom.

I did look on the Cannon website but the list of downloads and upgrades ect ect was so long it just made me more confused than when I started.

I am going to download back yard.

many thanks for the info.

Graham

Carl you have just described exactly what I am looking for.

I think my questions have just been answered.

Many thanks

Graham

Graham, Carl's camera has the later processor which means he can do long exposures via a USB cable. Your 350D will require the serial lead to do the same.... The serial lead won't be a problem as the length of serial connections is not a restrictive as USB, which ideally should use active cables every 5m to ensure no loss of data

:) Backyard OS says no Canon 350d drivers on Windows 7 -

"You will need a serial cable to achieve Bulb with your 350d. Also, the 350d works on XP and Vista; Canon does not have any drivers for this model on W7. Please make sure the in-camera menu option 'Communication' is set to 'PC Connection' or “Normal'; it will not work if set to 'PTP'."

I think I'm going to have to setup a Windows XP VM on my laptop :)

The problem between 350D and Win7 exists only when the platform is 64bit. Under 32bit I have no problems to use my 350D with APT :)

If you have 64bit Win7, the only solution is to install virtual machine... or to buy a newer camera :)

Congrats on getting a great camera I love mine to bits now although when I first got it I was a bit worried about the small screen and finding focus after being used to a live view Lumix G1. But once I saw the images this little camera can take I was bowled over.

You can down load most of the drivers from the net but I only use it with backyard eos now as its so easy to focus with using BYE. I just take my camera out set to manual and raw and put a bahtinov mask on and use bye to get the focus nice and sharp. I use the usb cable that came with the camera and a remote timer but with an extra cable from astronomiser you can do it all with bye. At the moment I just do my focus with it and then switch over to the remote timer for my subs. I found modding the 350d pretty straight forward not easy but not hard just took a long while and lots of careful putting back of ribbon cables. Your going to love it.

Thanks for the advice as usual QM, sounds like it's going to do everything I want.

I've got more Light pollution than I initially thought, so I think finding the objects will be the hardest thing.

Thanks Ivo. I've got an XP virtual machine on disk so I guess I'll use that if I can't get it working on 64-bit W7.

There are several excellent guides and also videos on youtube...

Here's one to get your started...

Life Pixel ? Canon Rebel XT 350D DIY Digital Infrared Conversion Tutorial | LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair

I use a printed copy and tick of each stage as its completed.. I use a compartment box to keep the screws from each stage seperate - or you can stick them to a piece of tape..

I work with the camera in a baby bath - saves scrabbling on the floor looking for any small parts that you may "drop"...

Peter...

Peter...

Archived