NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dob Outdoor Storage!

I am wondering does anyone use something like this as an outdoor store for their dob...Plastic Garden Wheelie Bin Store: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I keep mine in a wooden shed at the minute but its a bit of a carry to where I observe so thinking of one of these if suitable on my observing deck. Any thoughts appreciated.

Plastic shed works for me. Have a look at the album in my profile, looks like a very similar shed. Scope has lived in the shed for ~5 years now with no sign of degredation. I have recently installed a 12v supply which I use to run a fan after a very damp nights observing. That is about the only time I see condensation on the mirrors though.

Occasionally see a little moisture on the inside of the roof but never seen enough to drip. Keep the scope under a plastic sheet just in case.

To this point the worst that has happened to it was an eight legged squatter in the mirror cell!

Based on my experience I would have no concerns about using this type of storage. Personally I am more comfortable with this with a padlock attached than I would be with it under a tarp in the garden.

You could try knocking up a nice little roll off obsy similar to Olly's before his recent build. You seem pretty clued up so shouldn't be too difficult for you to do. I have seen several that have been constructed on the forum for dobs and I believe Sir Patrick has one himself. With such a large dob you would benefit from more use not being challenged to cart it out every time we have a break in the clouds and with what appears to be such good sky's over your home it would be well worth the investment both physically and financially.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Having seen the above at my local Homebase earlier I have decided not to go for a plastic store. To be honest I have my doubts that it would stand up to the weather where it would be situated.

You could try knocking up a nice little roll off obsy similar to Olly's before his recent build. You seem pretty clued up so shouldn't be too difficult for you to do. I have seen several that have been constructed on the forum for dobs and I believe Sir Patrick has one himself. With such a large dob you would benefit from more use not being challenged to cart it out every time we have a break in the clouds and with what appears to be such good sky's over your home it would be well worth the investment both physically and financially.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and sound advise Nick. I have to admit I find the idea of an obsey very appealing. Having the scope permanently set up would save a lot of lugging around the garden! This may well be my next project :)

Archived