NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LED mod for flight cases

steve_bham

I've just taken delivery of a 30cm self adhesive red led strip from eBay. Grand some of £1.99 :) its rated at 12v but I'm running it from a 9v battery to get a dimmer light. Mounts perfectly under the top of the lid so you can see the kit and read star maps by.

Anyone else done led mods for their kit?

I think RikMcRae suggested this to me.

Its simply a book reading light covered with Rubylith (bit crude looking but it works :))

Big thing I have learnt is how important it is keeping your eyes dark adapted and this keeps it to a minimum but also allows me to read and make sketches.

Briiliant! Thanks Rik! :)

Edit: Apologies to anyone having to tilt there head 90 degrees to see the pics properly. :o

post-33489-133877759871_thumb.jpg

post-33489-133877759879_thumb.jpg

I use a rear bicycle lamp with the bulb painted with red nail varnish and a wrapper from the strawberry chocolate from Quality Street inside the lens to dim the light down. Works a treat!

And you get to eat the chocolate! :)

I've got one of those booklights,looks a good idea I find the red head lights don't light up the area I'm looking at unless I use my hand to move it to where I want it,so I might try this instead:)

He he he...I love red LEDs. As well as a sketch light like Mike says :), I've got them inside the lid of my EP case, wrapped round the base of my travel mount and my mobile imaging station (Tesco folding crate covered with a blanket :)) has a string of them inside so I can see the keys on the laptop.

I've even got a 10m red LED rope light, bought originally to light inside the tent at starparties but it's way too bright.

rikmcrae-albums-equipment-picture11915-gloucester-skies.jpg

Archived