Identification Problems

I suppose the only answer I could give is that we ask people to respect the Forums rules , if somebody is that desperate to break them then there are all sorts of ways to do this by the back door.

Just don't be surprised if your found out and action taken

Sent from my rusty can by a bit of string

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if someone starts putting a 'heads up' link on here often and the seller is always the same person then alarm bells may ring. I realise that it becomes annoying when people start using the forum for free advertising and blocking all the series threads. On a couple of my forums I run/ran a classified ads section where people had to register separately so the buyer and seller do any deal between and 'off site' so to speak. If a sale goes wrong they all like to blame site administrators for it.

i know this subject is abit touchy at the moment with the buy /sell waiting to come back with the new software.

i would just ask this. i see a few posts where a member will say something like " i have one of these, if your interested p.m me " ect. which i thought wouldnt be allowed ?

secondly can i mention on a post that im after a particular thing or item ,just to arange contact on another web site (i.e b&s) ? my guess is yes, but dont want to annoy any moderators. thanks .

Any posts that we see that break the rules are removed , but the sheer number of posts means that we cannot read every one.

Wanted posts / threads are part of the Sale Section and so are not allowed at the moment

Any posts that we see that break the rules are removed , but the sheer number of posts means that we cannot read every one.

Wanted posts / threads are part of the Sale Section and so are not allowed at the moment

understood, thankyou..:)

.... i see a few posts where a member will say something like " i have one of these, if your interested p.m me " ect. which i thought wouldnt be allowed ?

secondly can i mention on a post that im after a particular thing or item ,just to arange contact on another web site (i.e b&s) ? my guess is yes, but dont want to annoy any moderators. thanks .

We try to catch the first of these but some will slip though the net - we do have lives to live, familes, jobs etc :)

The answer to the second point is, if it looks like a "wanted" advert in any way it will attract the attention of the moderators.

The only "annoyance" caused is that we have to address these issues rather than contributing more positively to the forum :)

With respect, this is not a complicated rule - no buying / selling / wanted adverts on the forum at the moment. Thats it :)

Edit: I see Kai got there before me .....

Newbie here. As I understand it, the buy-sell section was shut down after:

a) It emerged that some trading members may have been masquerading as non-trading members in order to snaffle astro-gear at a discount from genuine non-trading members and selling it on eBay, thus disadvantaging other non-masquerading non-trading members.

and

:) members causing excessive strife to moderators with their complaints about (a).

A heads up to one's own item on another site is IMO different as:

i) There is less likely to be a below value asking price as no-one is taking into account the SGL community spirit when setting a price on eBay or ABS.

ii) Negotiation for the item is not going to take place on SGL. It is going to take place via email or other means, based around the non-goodwill price set on ABS etc - making it not a problem for the mods here on SGL.

I am moderately interested in TigerTim's Tal & would at least like a look at it when it comes onto the market. I don't use ABS or eBay regularly - certainly not enough to set an alert for "Tals from TigerTim" or visit once a week and actively search.

A heads-up would be...

...nice :)

....A heads up to one's own item on another site is IMO different as:

i) There is less likely to be a below value asking price as no-one is taking into account the SGL community spirit when setting a price on eBay or ABS.

ii) Negotiation for the item is not going to take place on SGL. It is going to take place via email or other means, based around the non-goodwill price set on ABS etc - making it not a problem for the mods here on SGL.

I am moderately interested in TigerTim's Tal & would at least like a look at it when it comes onto the market. I don't use ABS or eBay regularly - certainly not enough to set an alert for "Tals from TigerTim" or visit once a week and actively search.

A heads-up would be...

...nice :)

Whatever your views are on this, you will have to abide by the policies currently in place on the forum please.

If you can't be bothered / find the time to keep an eye on what is coming on sale on those other sites why should anybody give you a "heads up" on here :)

This topic has been discussed many times over the past few months. The forum position is clear - we are aiming to introduce a new buy & sell facility when the forum software is upgraded.

Until then the rules are clear - please respect them.

Thanks.

Archived