NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Burnhams Celestial Handbook

AstroTiger

Hi Guys

in another thread (i couldn't find it!) I mentioned tht have purchased the three volumes of the burnhams handbook.

The copies i have were published in 1950, does anyone know what the latest editions are?

I know its wrong to assume, but i "assume" that the no longer publish these? would i be right in "assuming" that?

Does anyone have any later editions?

Cheers

Al

My copies are also 1978. Volumes 1 and 2 are revised, greatly expanded versions of the original, privately printed (1966) edition.

The material in volume 3 has never before been published in any form.

Volume 1: Andromeda--Cetus ISBN 0-486-23567-X

Volume 2: Chameleon--Orion ISBN 0-486-23568-8

Volume 3: Pavo--Vulpecula. ISBN 0-486-23673-0

Cheers. Ron. :D

indeed, just taken a brief look at mine too, all 1978.

I guess they must be close to collectors items now!

mind u its not like the sky has changed much since they were published!

That's true AT. It is a great pity that Burnham himself didn't get more recognition for his efforts though.

Here is a link to an article supplied by Astroman, a member of SGL. It is an article by AM's friend Tony Ortega, about Burnham's life. Very interesting.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1997-09-25/news/sky-writer/

yes no doubt these are classics, and one i think that no astronomer should be without.

To think i only paid a tenner for all three, and these came from the USA!!! lol

I tihnk they should be up there with the norton star atlas.

Like the chemistry series by Arthur Vogel, another unsung hero of his field!

cheers for the link, i will have a read in a bit

They couls reprint them quite easily

They would have to upadte the co-ordinates, put some newer pictures in and update some of the explanations a little.

But 90% of the book is still spot on which is amazing given it is 30 years since the last edition.

Cheers

ian

They couls reprint them quite easily

They would have to upadte the co-ordinates, put some newer pictures in and update some of the explanations a little.

But 90% of the book is still spot on which is amazing given it is 30 years since the last edition.

Cheers

ian

to be honest, i think if u let some cowboy author in to update it, it could ruin the publication.

Perhaps it would be better to let Burnhams remain the unspoilt classics they are and start again.

Yes, Burnham's was published in 1978 and the coordinates are from the 1950 epoch, but most modern planetarium software can precess the coordinates for you. Much of the data are dated, but a lot is still correct, as Lunator says. And, I agree with AstroTiger about any updates spoiling the original. Care to update Shakespeare? >ducks head and runs<

Archived