Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Assembling SW 200p on EQ5

WOW Gottit at last! am now setting up in kitchen- cloudy out!- instructions not brilliant and illustration doesn't actually show EQ5 but its mostly obvious tho it took me a while to figure that the long mount bar was already on the OTA so that's why I couldn't fit it to the mount with the short one on it !! DUH! Got a few tools supplied that I havent used yet and puzzling over eyepiece bits and bobs-- assuming there's options for diff diameter eyepieces, reckon I need a cigarette and a break but nearly there and pray for clear sky for collimation , polar alignment and what ever else before I can actually look through it!

Love peace + understanding!

Probably back for help V. soon!

Hi Rollinbob - you've got a great scope. There's quite a few videos on you tube of people setting them up.

I've recently acquired a 2nd hand one and one bit of advice I wish I had is 'throw away the altitude adjustment t-bolts and buy some better ones'. They are number 4 on the diagram on page 3 my instruction manual but yours may be different. The bolts supplied with the EQ5 are very soft and the long locking bolt is prone to bending. Problem is, once its bent inside the casting its not very easy to get out!

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/117182-help-needed-bent-bolt-inside-eq5-mount.html is a link to a thread that will explain this in more detail. If you search around you'll find plenty more!

I've just ordered a set of proper bolts from Home page -Astrodevelopments while I contemplate getting the old one out.

Apart form this the rest of the kit is smashing (in my limited experience). Good luck!

Hey, Thanks for advice --I'm getting there tho wife seems to think that garden needs more urgent devotion. Any way right now I have two plastic knobs and three shafts -brassy looking bits that all look like they should take a knob . Will check out youtube.

i've got the same set up and i think 1 knob goes on the ra (the one that has a black plate one one side) and the other goes on either of the dec splines (brassy things). i guess it goes on which ever side suites you. if i'm wrong i'd love to hear 'coz that's how i've done it.

Thats exactly how I set my EQ5 mount when I had it.

As for fitting the OTA to the mount, I tend to have the puck so that I tighten the bolts from the top.

With respect to the Latitude bolts, I never had a problem with mine, it helps if you remember to slacken off the opposite bolt to the one your tightening before you tighten it.

Archived