Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How use the canon eos 300d for astrophotography

Mirror lock up is probably the most useful thing the hacked firmware gives you for AP. Iirc it is indeed simple to apply the update, it's a good few years since I did it but what madharibo says rings a bell.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSLRs, because of their large sensors aren't really suited to planetary imaging. You'd probably be better off with a webcam tbh. Focussing is critical for astrophotography (better than you can get just looking through the view finder) and the 300D has no live view option so you basically need to take a shot, review it and zoom in on the screen to see how it looks, adjust and repeat until you are happy. A bahtinov mask could help with that. Edit... Oops repeating what's been said - should have read the other 2 pages 1st! :rolleyes:

Hi there

I did the hack a while back, its a nightmare to do the usb uploader process - the card reader worked first time just a cheap one from amazon £3.00 only needs to work that once :) anyway, its scary if your 300D is the only means for you to image but as long as your dslr doesnt power off mid hack it'll go fine.

So much easier with card reader, and as said mirror lock-up is the best feature as well as 3200 ISO - but the most recent firmware you can find will do the job.

Also the focus mask is best bet, quick 3 to 5 seconds exposure, zooming in and repeat - works fine.

For planets a barlow will both help with image scale and bring the point of focus back which in most cases would save moving the mirror in the OTA if it looks to be an awkward job.

All the best

Regards

Aenima

For planets a barlow will both help with image scale and bring the point of focus back which in most cases would save moving the mirror in the OTA if it looks to be an awkward job.

All the best

Gonna have to disagree with you a little, yes barlows will move the focal point further out but normally the same length as the barlow tube itself meaning that you have gained no inward movement what so ever! all you have done is move the camera and the focal point the same amount giving the same problem as this was one of the first things i tried, not sure about short focus barlow or shorter tube ones such as meade etc. in my case moving them mirror up 25mm to 30mm isnt that hard with the right replacement nuts and bolts, im not sure for others with different scopes?

Gonna have to disagree with you a little, yes barlows will move the focal point further out but normally the same length as the barlow tube itself meaning that you have gained no inward movement what so ever! all you have done is move the camera and the focal point the same amount giving the same problem as this was one of the first things i tried, not sure about short focus barlow or shorter tube ones such as meade etc. in my case moving them mirror up 25mm to 30mm isnt that hard with the right replacement nuts and bolts, im not sure for others with different scopes?

Oooh, sorry dude, thought it'd work, i actually had no idea it was that easy to move the mirror.

I had the same scope and same trouble getting inward travel with dslr so tried the skywatcher 2xbarlow (as is, using the t-adapter) and while extending focal length and doubling magnification as barlows usually do I did manage to reach focus a few cm back from right up against the focuser. My trouble then was for deep sky i'd have to half the exposure times due to quicker startrailing, but the barlow did bring point of focus physically backwards in my case.

Regards

Aenima

Archived