Beginners help needed!!

Hi.

I am totally new to this site and indeed to astronomy. I really could do with some help with a couple of items. ;)

I have yet to buy a telescope. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Celestron SLT127. Does anyone know if there is a website that shows what sort of detail one can get with different aperture sized scopes? Would I get much better detail from 150mm aperture?

Having looked through various telescopes at a recent 'Beginners to astronomy' evening at the Intech Centre in Winchester it became obvious to me that I found it difficult to focus consistently using just one eye. I've been told that an eye patch might help. It didn't, unfortunately. I've also been told that binoviewers would solve the problem. I have no problem with binoculars so I'm hopeful. Can anyone give me their experiences, pros and cons, of using binoviewers please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sunny Delight. :)

Hi,

I'm a novice myself, but I can answer your first question. The bigger the aperture the better your image will be. Not larger, but better contrast and better light gathering so the target will be brighter.

If you're thinking of buying a scope with auto go to, do some research first! I bought my first scope with auto go to and found it so disappointing that I traded it in for a manual scope. I lost some money there!

I'm sure the experienced guys will answer you soon....that's my 10 pence worth!

Cark

Are you planning to use the scope for viewing only? or are you planning to do a little imaging down the road as well?

When it comes to focusing with one eye, you actually need to get your eyes nighttime adjusted. Normally takes 15-20 minutes without staring at anything bright. The longer you look through your eyepiece, the more the detail will start coming out.

I can't give any advise on Bino's, since I never use them.

I would personally go for the 150mm scope, but I'm not sure how passionate you are with astronomy. But either one works very well, I've seen impressive images with both versions...so it really matters on how much you want to spend.

I'm certainly new (this is my second post) but I have done tons of research and received more feedback than I ever imagined from proud and kind people in astronomy. Everyone has pointed me towards binoculars first. This seemed really strange to me at first but I quickly understood how significant binoculars could be. You will need a pair of quality binoculars anyway to scan the sky and for those nights when putting the telescope up just isn't in your ambition. I will point you towards the two binoculars that will save you 20+ hours of research and review: Pentax 20x60 (if you have or will get a tripod) and Nikon 12x50 for easy handheld use. Both binoculars have the highest ratings I've found in astronomical binocular use and being that they are both optic brand companies who have billions in research and development, I trust both the user end and the company brand for providing the best in my personal (and amateur) sky gazing needs. This is coming form someone who, in the end, wanted to not be held up in too much expense but also wanted something that would provide frustration free quality and use.

I wish you the best no matter what you decide!

- DC

• 2 weeks later...

Archived