Help with a choice of 3?

Hello. I have got to a shortlist of 3 telescopes and could use some help. They 3 are: Startravel 120 (now), Dobsonian Skyline 200p (now(, or the Evostar 120 (if I save up some more). Portability is fairly important to me as is some clarity on the planets. This is my first proper telescope purchase.

The Startravel 120 is cerainly a worthy scope, good for planets but quite fast at f/5 so it will be fussy about ep's. Which mount were you looking at, as there is a choice between the EQ3-2 or AZ3? However, the 102 is more portable if this is an issue, which why I bought my C100ED-R. The 120 is quite a beast.

got the 200p ,nice scope have had some nice moon /planets and nebula's viewing [although i find mars pretty awkward]it's a bit more of a take it into garden scope although it does fit in my car [bmw 320] with the ota on the back seat and the dob mount in the front seat. it gets the forum approval on bang for bucks and is very good for resale value [realy hold's it's price ]so could be a good starter and allow you to save up for better or bigger scope .

Do you mean that 102 or the 120 Evostar ?

No idea where you are but try finding a local club and see if they have an observing evening where you could go along.

All 3 scopes have good and bad points.

200P dob will need collimating and may be bigger then you think,

an 102 Evostar is about a meter long and on an EQ mount, setting up is not just stand on the lawn and get going. Some basic set up is required.

The ST120 is small and will show colour fringing - no idea what mount it comes on.

My preference is the 102 Evostar, I like refractors and the best view I have had of Saturn was through a similar Tal scope at around 120x.

The 200P dobsonian will give the most aperture.

The ST will be easiest to transport.

It is your money, you will have to decide.

Best suggestion: Get the one that you are drawn to, whichever it is.

Archived