Which would you choose for portability and budget  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose for portability and budget

• GIRO MOUNT NEED TO BUY CW'S & TRIPOD
    • AZ4 MOUNT INCLUDES TRIPOD
    • CG5 INCLUDES TRIPOD
    • DOB INCLUDES MOUNT

Hi all

I'm faced with a slight dilemma here. I have been offered a used giro mount at what I consider a over inflated £200 (£250 new in UK) and I would have to go into further expense getting a counter weight bar and weight £40 plus I'd then have to use the 2" tripod of my CG5 to mount it. Or do I go for an AZ4 on a stainless steel tripod @ £179 new which comes with a tripod & doesn't need counterweights. The pro's & con's of the giro & 2" tripod are obvious as I can mount 2 scopes and aperture up to 8" but this comes at the cost of not having the option of selling the CG5 (as I need the tripod) extra cost of CW bar & CW both financially and in weight to carry. The pro's & con's of the AZ4 are that it comes with it's own 1.75" tripod & can be mounted on the 2" CG5 tripod if desired. Given it's weight capacity (150P MAX aperture) it doesn't need a counter weight so no further expense. The CG5 can be sold to fund the purchase if needed. I assume it is more portable than the giro set up ? The con's are that it has a limited weight capacity so my 8" newt is out of the question and I have concerns that zenith will be out of question due to clearance ?

I will be using either a 150mm f/5 newt or 100mm f/9 Frak on it but do like the idea of having the choice of an 200mm f/5 newt (kept in obsy) for star parties etc. This said I have a CG5 so would it be better I just stuck with that and forgot about buying an AZ mount all together as a CG5 will handle a 200mm Newt it can track at high magnifications and it wouldn't be much more effort to set up. The only down side is the focuser ends up in some odd positions with newts and I'm not a big on the idea of rotating the OTA. When considering the cost of the Giro £200 + £40 + say £50 for a tripod it also questions would I be better off getting a 200mm Dob. This comes on a base and is portable but obviously don't have the option of using a frak. Other con's of having a dob is storage where as a tripod and mount can be shoved behind a door.

Any suggestions ?? I have put a poll up just for fun.

• 3 weeks later...

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/184768-sorry-asking-yet-again-az4-150p.html

Well after my cries for help fell on deaf ears TWICE (only kidding I think people were getting sick of me asking the same question more like :)) I decided I would take the gamble on the GIRO III the main reason being this will allow me to use my 8" newt at star parties or if a clear night is on the cards both my 6" newt for deep sky and 4" frak for planetary. A long wait and what I considered a lot of cash I managed to pick up a practically new GIRO III TV. For my grab and go scope I had already decided on a 150PDS choosing the DS model as it just makes focusing easier and reducing any chance of vibration. From the off you can tell the Giro is capable of holding a hefty load and the axis although smooth are heavy even with the tension loosened right off. Per side the improved Giro III has a capacity for 6kg (with out counter weight) but from first impressions the 150PDS with an EP in pushes this and a counter weight would be more suitable for high power planetary observation. The reports I have read regards the AZ4 / 150P suggest similar allowing upto x180 before sticktion becomes an issue. Taking this into consideration I don't see this being a problem as the Giro dose offer the option of counter weighting the scope where as the AZ4 doesn't offer this. This is as grab and go as I could possibly wish for as far as nipping outside between the clouds as the giro will attach straight on to my pier meaning I can carry the scope in one hand, the giro in the other and EP's over my shoulder (once I get around to sewing the strap to save relying on those stupid clips). For out in the field I have the CG5 2" tripod offering a good sturdy foundation again reducing vibrations to a minimum. This may not be considered as grab and go as some mounts but I detest vibrations when trying to focus so I'm willing to put up with this. As with anything astronomy the proof will be in the first light outing and I reserve judgement on whether I did the right thing or not until then.

The Giro's look simple but are really well engineered - while I like my AZ-4 the Giro is in a different league and, on the right tripod, has far more capacity. I think you have made the right choice.

A slightly overmounted scope is a joy to use but an slightly undermounted one can be very frustrating.

And prey where can you buy a Giro III in the UK for 250 quid?

I had originally thought this was a GIRO III Bresser GIRO DeluxeTwinview alt-azimuth mounting but now I have seen this one I'm no longer sure as the one I have is Made by Berlebach where as the one at S'N'S is Bresser. May be a clone or a re-brand maybe ?? Either way it is a GIRO of some sort available for £250 in the UK.

but not so good for lunar imaging:)

? The moon is super bright a exposure is so fast you often don't suffer motion blur on a manual mount. Besides looking at some of the other members images I am beginning to think there is no better method of lunar imaging than A-focal.

? The moon is super bright a exposure is so fast you often don't suffer motion blur on a manual mount. Besides looking at some of the other members images I am beginning to think there is no better method of lunar imaging than A-focal.

Im still upping the game on the A-focal, i now have the holy grail of camera`s........manual focus and remote shutter release, all in a point and shoot, watch out for some decent image`s from me in the near future

I had originally thought this was a GIRO III Bresser GIRO DeluxeTwinview alt-azimuth mounting but now I have seen this one I'm no longer sure as the one I have is Made by Berlebach where as the one at S'N'S is Bresser. May be a clone or a re-brand maybe ?? Either way it is a GIRO of some sort available for £250 in the UK.

Thank you for that, I am very interested in one of these.

I came across this and it would suggest the GIRO on S'N'S is actually a GIRO II not a GIRO III Telescope Reviews: Bresser Giro + Tripod (Giro II Deluxe, GR2-DX)

Archived