Moon filters

When to use a moon filter, last night I preferred looking at the moon without the filter.

Are there vastly different qualities of moon filter.

What should I expect from the filter and at some point will it become essential as the moon gets fuller/brighter.

Thanks in advance

mike :(

I never use an ND moon filter to dim the image. The only moon filter I use is the Baader Neodymium which improves contrast a bit and gives the moon a nice neutral tone.

Some people seem to have trouble adjusting to the brightness and need an ND filter whereas many aren't bothered at all so just try it and if it does bother you then get a filter.

John

I don't use a filter for the moon or for the planets for that matter. As has been said, the eye adjusts quite quickly to the ambient light.

I find full moon the least interesting part of the lunar cycle as it happens - the most detail is to be seen along the terminator which does not exist at a full moon of course and the details of the lunar landscape are washed out in sunlight.

I thought the phase tonight (before the clouds arrived here !) was really lovely - so much detail to be seen.

the most detail is to be seen along the terminator which does not exist at a full moon of course and the details of the lunar landscape are washed out in sunlight.

thanks, makes sense, lets hope for clear skies

mike

I use an ND 0.9 filter and I find it helps - just more comfortable and when you switch to a new target vision is better. I also used it on Mars the other night and I thought the level of detail was slightly improved.

Try masking the ota, leave about a 3 " hole ... works a treat and costs nothing!

It's an often quoted solution but bear in mind that doing it means you have the resolution and contrast of a 3" scope ;)

Archived