NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera help?

Azure

Hey all,

I've been asking around about how to go about astrophotography and was directed here by a forum member. Basically, I want your advice on what sort of webcams I should be looking into for use with my 130EQ Newt. scope for planetary and lunar photography (I am not looking into DSO photography at the moment - I feel my scope isn't up for it, but please correct me if I am mistaken!). I am looking to keep my budget below £50 if possible.

I am already aware of the need of software like RegiStax and for a way to connect the webcam to the scope (adapter/film canister etc.) I am just wondering what actual webcam to look at.

- AZ

ive done some photos using a microsoft lifecam studio hd (49:99 i paid) of the moon in my album and so far they were the better results jupiter didnt look too bad but ive yet to process anything other than the moon pics it dont seem too bad but i should think theres better cams out there toucam maybe for instance but the ms cam is the only one ive used so far hope this helps

The answer is that any webcam that can remove the front lens would be suitable, but there are some that are used more than others.

The Philips SPC, for example. or the lifesize from MS.

Factors to consider:

How controllable are the settings? Exposure, gain, shutter speed, etc.

What USB version is it?

What does your favoured capture software support?

HTH

Archived