Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help with my webcam

help needed with my webcam it is a phillips toucam pcvc840k and i think i flashed it right with the philips spc900nc firmware and it still works and i have took the lens out from the ccd senser and i used a 35mm film case to fit it to my telescope but still dont get good pictures i get the moon up and satun but its not very good image do i need to put a lens back in or do i need filters i here people saying they have tested it after takeing it out in there room but when i take the lens out all i get is color and stuff i cant make anything out maybe i did the flashing wrong or someing please help if you can thank you

Well, as you are getting images of the Moon/Saturn etc, it is safe to assume your camera is o.k. perhaps if you provide a few more details regards your setup, and what capture software you are using. Assume you are stacking your AVI's via Registax or similiar? the image can look naff via on the screen, detail is teased out via post processing.

An IR blocking filter should be added to the nosepiece (it might be better to replace your DIY nosepiece with a purpose made one to ensure the sensor is correctly aligned with the telescope). The purpose of the IR blocking filter is to remove infrared light which would normally be removed by the IR filter built into the webcams' lens. The IR light focuses at a different plane to visible light but is still recorded on the sensor. This can make images appear slighly fuzzy/out of focus and also gives a pinkish tinge to images.

Peter

hello thank you for your help i removed the infrared lens from the webcam becouse on the mods page it said thats what you do do you think i should put it back in it is out of focus the image is there but you cant make out any detail thank you both for your help my setup is a skywatcher d150 f750 barlow x2 and 25mm 10 mm eyepiece i have no tracker and the mount is not great i am getting a new one soon i can get jupiter and like 3 or 4 moons but theres no detail on jupiter its just realy bright once again thank you for your help

Archived