Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lack of Messier objects in CdC

Gina

I'm finding or rather not finding, a number of missing Messier objects in the star chart. M42 is there but M51 and M101 aren't. Nor are many others I would like to have a go at. Are there any add-ons for CdC that add nebulae and galaxies etc. Or should I try Stellarium?

There does appear to be one anomaly in CdC where messiers are concerned:

If I do a search for M69, it takes me to a globular labelled NGC 6634 which it classifies as a 'plate defect'. However, if I click on the object again it turns to M69, which it correctly identifies as a globular, but it gives it the NGC number of 6637.

Making it almost as difficult to find as the real thing!

There does appear to be one anomaly in CdC where messiers are concerned:

If I do a search for M69, it takes me to a globular labelled NGC 6634 which it classifies as a 'plate defect'. However, if I click on the object again it turns to M69, which it correctly identifies as a globular, but it gives it the NGC number of 6637.

Making it almost as difficult to find as the real thing!

That's not an anomaly. M69 is also NGC6637. Messier objects all have an alternative NGC number, which is generally their 'official' designation.

Archived