Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NexImage as good as Philips SPC900NC?

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if the Celestron NexImage will give as good results as a Philips SPC900NC? I'm aware that both use the sought-after Sony ICX098QB CCD, but as the SPC's are pretty much impossible to get hold of I'm considering the NexImage, but only if I can be convinced that results will be comparable.

I'm also considering the Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD conversion, using the Billetparts adaptor, so if anyone has any opinion on whether it'd be better than the NexImage I'd be interested to hear from you.

Cheers!

Baz

I have both and I understand they're pretty much the same camera in a different "coat". That said, I've done comparison images quite a few times and I don't know why, but the SPC seems slightly better on some nights, but the Neximage is better on others. Completely inconsistent. What is also inconsistent is the price! The Neximage is, IMHO, a rip off price-wise. The only reason I bought one was that SPCs were (and still are) rare to find, but I now have 4 of them, collected over the last couple of years.

One thing I've noticed is that the neximage must be slightly different firmware even though it uses the same sensor, and driver. I receive a conflict when the MSLifecam has been installed and then go to connect the NexImage - However a standard SPC900 works fine.

I agree with Steve, there's not much in it between performance and final images.

I have both and I understand they're pretty much the same camera in a different "coat". That said, I've done comparison images quite a few times and I don't know why, but the SPC seems slightly better on some nights, but the Neximage is better on others. Completely inconsistent. What is also inconsistent is the price! The Neximage is, IMHO, a rip off price-wise. The only reason I bought one was that SPCs were (and still are) rare to find, but I now have 4 of them, collected over the last couple of years.

Hi Steve, thanks for your post. I know what you mean about the cost of the NexImage; the cheapest new unit I've found is £112 - for a webcam?! I guess on the plus side it is a 'straight out of the box' solution ie needs no mods, however if I had a SPC the lens removal and adaptor replacement would be a doddle, as the adaptors still seem to be readily available. The MS Lifecam appears to be a cheaper option as a £50+ mod, but I'm sure it's a CMOS camera and not a CCD so I'm slightly sceptical about the end results, although I understand a lot of people choose this option so it must be ok. I'm watching a couple of SPC's on eBay right now but I'm sure they're going to go for around the £100 mark, a figure I just can't bring myself to spend on a simple webcam that when it was widely available cost around £15, I believe. I suppose that the Lifecam is probably my best option, unless you have a mad moment and decide to part with one of your SPC's lol ; )

Cheers

Baz

One thing I've noticed is that the neximage must be slightly different firmware even though it uses the same sensor, and driver. I receive a conflict when the MSLifecam has been installed and then go to connect the NexImage - However a standard SPC900 works fine.

I agree with Steve, there's not much in it between performance and final images.

Hi Malcolm, cheers for replying. It's good to know that you've had the same results as Steve with the NexImage. I've noticed that Celestron are releasing a new 5MP NexImage in June (£250) so maybe when it's available we might see some discounts on the original NexImage, although I guess it could just as easily go the other way!

Cheers

Baz

I know that this is slightly off the actual topic, but do you really want to pay that sort of money for a webcam? I would guess that there will soon be more of these webcams available and that the prices will plummet. I would advise waiting, and maybe getting a cheapo webcam to practice with in the meantime.

I know that this is slightly off the actual topic, but do you really want to pay that sort of money for a webcam? I would guess that there will soon be more of these webcams available and that the prices will plummet. I would advise waiting, and maybe getting a cheapo webcam to practice with in the meantime.

Hi Catweazel, I totally understand what you're saying and yes it is definitely painful to think of paying £50+ for a webcam. I've been doing quite a bit of research recently into which webcams people are using for their imaging and the SPCs, Lifecams and NexImage come up time after time; I've not really found anyone writing about other worthwhile alternatives. Basically I'm looking for a simple route into basic webcam imaging ie not one where heavy mods are required, and from what I've seen/read my options seem quite limited and unfortunately come with a relatively heavy price tag. You mention using a cheap webcam to practice with - do you have any recommendations, as I'd certainly be interested in them if they give me an alternative route into imaging for a modest outlay.

Cheers

Baz

The issue here on price is due to current market forces. A few months ago an SPC900 could be picked up for less than £20 (pre-flashed) - now as they are so rare they are going for an average of £100 on flea-bay. The NexImage is IMO over priced.. It's a nice camera, but the difference in the images, especially the Moon and larger planets is so small it doesn't justify the £120 price tag. As for the next version... if it's going to be a planetary / luna imaging camera for £250 then I would get an QHY5 which is £60 cheaper and proven in the field. Now if it's also sensitive enough to be used for DSO's then it might be worth the investment

One other thing about the Neximage. If you are running Windows Vista as I was at the time I bought one, it's a nightmare getting it to work! It too absolutely ages and a lot of faffing around but I got there eventually. I've now seen sense and use a different operating system.

I didn't know Celestron were bringing out a new Neximage, perhaps that will be better and compete with the DMKs as it'll be in a similar price range?

I still think £110+ for a Neximage is a total rip off and the mark up is obscene. The things we spend our money on. For now, the SPC will do fine for me. I've seen some reasonably priced Neximages on fleabay recently. Might be a bargain (although still too expensive) on there.

The original one will definitely drop in price if they bring a new version out!

I've trialled the Neximage and the SPC alongside each other a few times now - same conditions etc. but not much difference. Perhaps different settings on the PC software and sometimes the SPC is better, other times is the Neximage. As there is nothing in it, I would personally recommend anyone thinking about investing to buy an SPC900 if they can find one.

I think people buy the Neximage as they can't find an SPC900 or when they do, on ebay, they get outbid as they are much sought after and hallf the price of the celestron product.

Given the current climate and availability of the SPC's I would look at using an MS Lifecam Cinema HD. These can be picked up on e-bay for around £28 NIB, less second hand. The only additional cost is the adapter (Welcome to Billetparts.co.uk / FDOS Design - - MS Lifecam Adapter) at £14, but you can get away with using film canisters etc if you are not fussy about appearance. - £42 for a decent luna / planetary webcam that does 720 HD is a reasonable alternative to the SPC, which has been selling for over £100 on e-bay !

Now I've been using my MS Lifecam for the past couple of sessions and I'm that happy with the results that I'm thinking of selling my NexImage as I can't see myself going back to using it.

Archived