NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which eyepiece?

Episkey

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new, higher quality eyepiece for my 6 inch Dobsonian. I'm looking at the Baader Hyperions. I use my stock 25mm more than my stock 10mm eyepiece so I think I'll go with a higher focal length. Will this increase the quality of DSO's in my scope, or will I barely notice a change? And, are there any better eyepieces for around the same price?

Thanks,

Joey

Stock ep's generally aren't that great (not sure which do you get with Bushnell, Skywatcher likes to bundle it's "Super MA" 25&10 with their scopes), so yes you should see a big improvement with a Hyperion. I'd take a look at something in 21mm range first, considering your scope.. Should work both as a finder and low power DSO ep.

I have Hyperions and a SW200P dob. The 24mm is my 'search' EP, until I can save up for a 31mm or 36mm Aspheric, and good for larger DSOs. It isn't modular so can't use the 28mm & 14mm fine tuning rings but my 17mm, 13mm & 8mm can.

Over time I've noticed I use the 24mm the most, then the 13mm, 8mm and occasionally the 17mm. At some point my Virgo OCD may see me buy a 21mm but it's not top priority.

I have Hyperions and a SW200P dob. The 24mm is my 'search' EP, until I can save up for a 31mm or 36mm Aspheric, and good for larger DSOs. It isn't modular so can't use the 28mm & 14mm fine tuning rings but my 17mm, 13mm & 8mm can.

Over time I've noticed I use the 24mm the most, then the 13mm, 8mm and occasionally the 17mm. At some point my Virgo OCD may see me buy a 21mm but it's not top priority.

Thanks!

NO!!! Only a larger scope can do that.

Yep, I meant the contrast and brightness.

Thanks!

Yep, I meant the contrast and brightness.

Premium EP's improve contrast to the best level available but that comes at a cost significantly more so than Hyperion's. As for brightness as I said before, only a bigger scope will do that.

Archived