NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus and the moon in broad daylight right now!

DaveGarland

I was just doing a search to try to find out what I saw last night

This forum and thread was the first thing I found that related to it.

Last night as I was on the way to the pub, I saw the moon and what I now know was Venus.

The thing is, there was another star like object to the left (west) of the moon, it was clearley vissible in the day light, was this another planet?

What a nice day it's been, could be a good night with my new hobby.:blob10:

Sam.

Venus, Jupiter and the Moon all spectacular from my garden as I write. PHD is guiding properly, M51 is in the frame on my scope and it's the second clear night in a row!

Makes up for all the clouds and frustration

if you fancy trying today, sky is a tad hazier so binoculars are a great help. Venus is appròx a fist-width to the right of the Sun, just above the 3 o'clock position. Put the Moon at the bottom of the binocular FoV and scan a couple of fields or so to the right. Easy in 10x42. Jupiter is level with the Moon a hand-span to the right, difficult in 15x70.

Take precautions not to look at the Sun!

Astronomy and sunbathing at the same time.... Weird but very very nice!
Not so weird: had a knee operation yesterday; what better way to recuperate? :blob10:

Best regards,

Steve

Sent from my HTC with Tapatalk

(so probably riddled with weird predicted words)

Holy Moly Venus is still up! I always thought Venus was known as the evening star but it's not far off mid night! Is this very rare for Venus to be visible both in daylight and then this late? It's easily the most fascinating thing in the sky for me at the moment.

I was amazed to finally see both the Moon and Venus in daylight yesterday as I was walking to college at around quarter to 7. It took a bit of panning around initially but I eventually saw Venus as a bright pinprick 2 hand widths to the right and a little bit down of the crescent Moon with the sun still 10 degrees or more above the horizon :(

Archived