Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First guiding attempt

Slim

I have recently borrowed a Canon 350D from a colleague as I wasn't having much luck with my LX modded webcam. This left my webcam available to attach to my finderscope to use as a finder guider. Last night was the first time I have captured a guided image and I was just looking for some feedback.

Target was the Double Cluster and this is 2x300s subs with 2 darks and no flats, light box is being planned, stacked in DSS with a little bit of stretching in GIMP. I assume the stars to the edge of the field appear as they do as a result of comma. I realise I need a lot more subs and probably shorter for this target but really just wanted peoples opinions on anything I was getting glaringly wrong. Any comments would be most appreciated.

doubledssgimpscale.jpg

I agree a very nice start.

Flats are a must, you can take them the following day (assuming that you leave everything as it is, camera attached to scope etc).

Get a white T shirt (plain white T shirt) stretch it over the end of the scope and take your flats that way.

I did that for years before I bought a light panel. Just make sure that the T shirt is evenly illuminated! I.e. no direct sunlight on the t shirt.

Another tip would be to make sure that the target is centered in the FOV - that way you can crop out some of the worst bits affected by COMA.

Go for 30 second subs next time - get LOADS of them, then take 31 Darks and 31 Bias frames. Get 31 flats the following day if possible using the T shirt method.

It'll be worth the agro :blob10:

Ant

Archived