NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another 8-inch plus DSLR M51

themos

• Mount: EQ6 EQMOD
  • OTA: Meade LX10 8" f/10 SCT + 0.63 Antares FR
  • Guiding: TS OAG + Starlight CoStar + PHD
  • Imaging: mod-1000D + CLS LP filter, 47 x 300s, 16 darks
  • Stacked : DeepSkyStacker
  • Processing : IRIS (colour) + PixInsight LE (levels)

Not much processing applied on this, WIP.

themos-albums-meade-lx10-picture16482-m51-18-march-2012-mount-eq6-eqmod-ota-lx10-8-f-10-sct-0-63-antares-fr-guiding-ts-oag-costar-phd-imaging-mod-1000d-cls-lp-filter-47-x-300s-16-darks-stacked-deepskystacker-processing-iris-colour-pixinsight-le-levels.jpg

themos,

with the amount of subs you have, the information is there. Try to reprocess this image by bringing the low levels to the foreground. That can be a much better image, as it already shows everything M51 is about.

Regards

Serge

Just thought I'd put up these two crops of subs from 2 different nights, exactly the same optics and camera and settings, to show the difference the sky conditions make (left is bad night, right is good night):

post-13420-133877754028_thumb.png

I did try another download following your PM themos but still no joy. I'm using a Mac but that shouldn't make any difference should it?

:blob10:

Anyway,I've had a bash using the image posted on the forum.Tried to emphasise the red star forming areas in the arms with mixed success........... Does it looks a bit over done.......:o

post-13495-133877754367_thumb.jpg

thanks! the galaxy itself looks very good at a certain image scale but the background, oh boy!

You are quite right,a certain image scale being,as small as possible....:(

This was a bit of a rush job and I really neglected the background........:(

I have gone over the image with dodge,burn,sharpen,and sponge tools..........Improved,hopefully.

post-13495-133877754558_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

When you click in the reply window, a two line menu bar appears and one of the entries on the first line is "My Media". Clicking on that, brings up a dialog called Your Media Library. There's a column of headings on the left. Click on Gallery Images. Then select one of the thumbnails that show up.

Archived