Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another EQ3-2 question

Hi guys,

With the EQ3-2 if you fit the Dual axis motors can the synscan handset then be added at a later date ? or does the PRO Goto mount use different motors :blob10: ?

Just trying to keep initial price down as the SW150P with an EQ3-2 mount with dual axis motors comes in at £350 were as with pro goto mount its £560.

Cheers guys

I think the motors differ, or at least they use different control boards, i dont think you can interchange them either way, think with the synscan, its an upgrade kit or nothing...could be wrong though :blob10:

Ive just done the same thing, im using an EQ5 with motors, and was contemplating upgrading to synscan, but never really found out a deffinative answer, but from what i read, its either dual motors, OR a Synscan Upgrade

hmm i was hoping that the synscan was just the handset with the catalog of objects.

I thought that might be the case as the handsets on there own are £100+ so i was hoping the motors would be the same.

Can anyone clarify ?

Thanks Peter.

Ive had a look on FLO but i can only see kits for EQ5 and EQ6 not EQ3 ?

**Edit

The Skywatcher EQ3-PRO SynScan uses the same GoTo system found in the HEQ5 and EQ6 Pro mounts

Think i just answered my question

On another note. It is wise not to rush into paying out large sums of money on synscan mounts until you are sure astronomy and the size of the scope is for you. What I mean is that if you spend a lot of money on the EQ3 and a year down the line decide astronomy is not for you an EQ3 PRO will be lucky to fetch £230 S/H. If down the line you decide you love the hobby and want to gain more from a larger scope the EQ3 will already be at it's limit with the 150P so more investment is needed on a larger mount as well as a larger scope. A way around this can be to go with the larger EQ5 from the off and at a later date you could always upgrade it to GOTO. If you decide to upgrade your scope, an 8" newt will sit on the mount well enough for visual use and should you decide astronomy isn't for you there should be less of a financial loss on the EQ5 . Astronomy dose seem an expensive hobby to the beginner but you will find you save more by get a larger mount in the first place. A house is only as good as it's foundations and it can be true with astronomy also.

Wise words indeed.

But its the initial cost i have to justify to the other half.

Plus i think astronomy is for me as ive always been interested in space, astronomy, astrophysics etc....plus i dont want the missus to say "i told you so !" :blob10:

yep another question :blob10:

can the Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2 be modded to be connected to mains or a battery pack of some sort ?

is there a guide any where ? i work with electronics so i can do it at work. just need to know if its do-able.

cheers

Someone on the forum recommended to me the book Turn Left at Orion, which tells you how to find Messier objects and double stars by following visual clues. I can testify that there is immense satisfaction to be gained from following a trail and finding a faint smudge of light in exactly the right place to be another galaxy. It has to be more fun than using GoTo and at £16 on Amazon is certainly cheaper!

Archived