Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cleaning dusty mirror

I know the feeling!

I've considered doing mine on a couple of occasions...probably best leaving until the clouds roll back in! The way things are at present you'll be wanting to get maximum time out of your scope..

there's no reason not to go halfway and do the following without even touching the mirror which if anything is what causes the damage.

1) take out the mirror and leave in the cell (after marking the cell and tube with tape to ensure it goes back in the same orientation)

2) put it at an angle, leaning against the wall of the bath, sat on a folded towel.

3) use a shower head and warm water to soak the mirror washing off as much as you can, add a little drop or two of mild detergent if needs be, rinse again throroughly

4) wash off the mirror with plenty of distilled water (or RVO water from aquariums - this is what I use)

5) let the water drain off and then dab any big drips with the very corner of a tissue - not touching the surface

6) put the mirror back and collimate.

Archived