Which scope to upgrade to?

I'm currently using a Astromaster 130-eq and far from done with it (haven't even taken it to a dark site yet).

I was wondering what the next step would be to take in terms of a scope (hypothetically), would it be just a larger model of a reflector or going for a refractor etc?

I'm not too bothered by photography but would like to move into DSO viewing.

thanks

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still looking to find a local club.

Bigger dob/newt it is then, I'm still far from exhausting my scopes potential so it will still be some time before I actually look into an upgrade

Another thing I was wondering was why scopes like Maks are so expensive? I'm talking about something like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-eq3-2.html

its over almost £400 but only has a 127mm mirror?

A Mak excels on moon and planets, where aperture is less important. You're paying for a relatively complex optical design which gives big-refractor high focal length planetary performance in a tube 1/3 of the size. How much would you expect to pay for a well-corrected 5" refractor?

If you want to view DSOs then don't pick a Mak - its the wrong tool for the job.

Archived