Backyard EOS and Canon 40D cable problem

kingboya

Hi

As stated, I am having trouble taking long exposures with BYE.

The camera is connected via USB, and the setting in BYE is set to camera USB, but the error message I keep having is :

Your camera requires a configured serial cable for BULB or Mirror Lock.

I am unsure how to proceed.

Could any of you fine folk out there shed any light on this for me please?

Thank you

Tony

• 7 years later...

Early Canon DSLRs didn't bring out the remote shutter onto the USB socket, the Astronomiser cable linked the DSLR remote shutter socket to the PC.

You'll have to interface a USB to Serial Adapter to a 2.5mm Stereo Plug via a diode and resistor - earbuds from Poundland can be cannibalised for the cable.

Michael

4 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Early Canon DSLRs didn't bring out the remote shutter onto the USB socket, the Astronomiser cable linked the DSLR remote shutter socket to the PC.

You'll have to interface a USB to Serial Adapter to a 2.5mm Stereo Plug via a diode and resistor - earbuds from Poundland can be cannibalised for the cable.

Michael

The 40d is fully compatible with bulb usb exposures.

You definitely don’t need an additional serial cable.

100%

1 minute ago, michael8554 said:

Oops I thought I'd not pressed POST on that, once I'd checked that BYE does support USB on the 40D

My Bad

Michael

Yeah I ran two at time together on a dual rig.  I can’t help the poster though as I’ve never used BYE more then did just the trial, but it worked on my 1000d which is essentially a budget 40d 

Edited by tooth_dr

10 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Michael

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

The 40d is fully compatible with bulb usb exposures.

You definitely don’t need an additional serial cable.

100%

You should check the date of the thread, it is now 8 years old.

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

You too 

I did. Someone else didn't and made the comment about the Astronomiser link not working in reply to my post made on 24 March 2012. Check the dates of the posts. Before replying to a post check the age of the post to see if it is still relevant and if the OP is still an active member.