my first proper skywatching session and a question

Well, that was interesting and fun, although I had to cut it about two hours short, due to the local digging (typo) community repeatedly turning up, blinding me, then driving off.

A shame, because it's a pretty good spot that I found while scouting for likely sites a couple of weeks ago.

Can't they just go round to each others houses or something? :)

Anyway, the fun bit. I started off by levelling my mount and then polar aligning.

I then aligned the scope (Synscan goto) with two stars (Sirius and Aldebaran I think) and told the mount to find Jupiter (a nice easy target so I'd know if it was badly off).

It was spot on. It's quite low in the sky and the seeing was very average from what I've been taught, but I could make out some cloud bands and all four moons in a neat little row.

Nice!

At this point I moved on to Venus. I had a real wow moment as I could see it about half lit. It's only ever been a bright point of light before, so I was genuinely impressed.

I then moved on to Mars. Although I've heard it's difficult to see structure, I could clearly see dark patches on the surface, though I couldn't make out a polar cap.

What sort of filter would improve viewing of Mars?

Now I knew Saturn was not up for a while so I tried some Messier objects. M42 is a nice easy target - Trapezium was pin sharp - and I managed to get a look at M43 too.

I knew that the Andromeda galaxy M31 was low in the sky but thought I'd try anyway and was rewarded with a small smudge! I had a look at the Pleiades M45 too, but even with a 32mm EP I couldn't quite fit it all in. I also had a look towards the Crab, M1, but I couldn't see anything.

By this time Saturn was above the horizon, but I couldn't see it for haze, or so I thought. I checked my mount's polar alignment again at this point and found it was way off, so I quickly did a 1-star align on Sirius and sent it back to Saturn. This time it was right in the EP, shimmering in the low, eastern sky. Even though it was more like Galileo's ears, I was still amazed to see it for the first time. I think I was seeing Titan too.

All this time, I left a camera pointing at the western horizon on time lapse, so if anything comes out from it, I'll post it up.

Sorry for the essay, but I'm really chuffed. I know they're easy targets but I'm off the mark now with Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Saturn, M42, M43, M45 and M31.

It was worth waiting out all those grey skies.

:)

sounds like your off to a great start Mark - Check out M81 and M82 next time your out - should be quite easy to find with our rig in Ursa Major.

I'm starting to think planning what you want to see before you get to your site is the way forward - last night I just spent a lot of time just staring up at the sky without the scope- mind you as I was a way from my Garden and at a pretty remote spot just couldn't really stop being in awe of what I was seeing.

cheers

Steve

I'm starting to think planning what you want to see before you get to your site is the way forward

It certainly helped, but I don't want to have to check the local swingers webite every time I want to set up somewhere :blob10:

It goes without saying I'm sure,but be carefull out there

Although "diggers" might not want to be identified.not all visitors to carparks late at night will be so shy !

When your tied down with many hundreds of £'s of equipment you may well be rather vunerable to the local yobs,

Try to go with someone else,as sharing this stuff is way better than being on your own !

But there is something almost spiritual to being in the middle of nowhere instead of your own back garden :-)

JJ..

Archived