Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using 50mm f/1.8

Excuse me, 55-70 mm

I can only show photos with my DSLR since I lack a telescope. I enjoy photography and I think I will stay like this, no telescope. This area was photographed with 55-70mm , then with an 8mm and later with a 50mm. Currently checking what lenses to use and how apropriate for different subjects. It is difficult to focus (infinity yes, but never sure it is perfectly at infinity) or determine what the camera is focused at. The data is included on the photo.

Also an owner of a new CG4 which I will have to sell because I find it too heavy to transport. Need something for my camera only that can track.

post-32085-133877751835_thumb.jpg

nice starting photo :)

what camera is it, my appoligies i cant see the little writing on the image ;)

on the camera track things theres a lot out there just depends on what you want to spend

in this months sky at night theres a really good set of reviews by steven richards on these mounts

astrotrac, fornax, losmandy ect and i also noticed in another mag (think it was astronomy now?) theres a really good review of the vixen polarie all similarly priced and all will fit on a camera tripod and stable head (make sure you get a decent head mind and a high KG tripod)

iv got the astrotrac and i think its a really nice piece of work :) and will allow you (as will the other mounts in the review i mentioned) allow you to image at around 5 - 15 mins (as long as you have correctly polar alligned (used a polar scope and gotten polaris in the center)

any questions give us a shout ;)

gaz

Fantastic image of yours. So many stars. I think I had to expose more or that I over processed to make the sky darker, so I lost something there. Any explanation why some stars look blue?

Btw, I made you a contact on Flickr. Nice photos of planets.

Nice go for such a short exposure. Infinity focus is hard with modern lenses, as infinity is not against the end stop.. it's back a bit... this is apparently to allow for thermal changes, the end result is... it's much tougher.

The blue around the stars looks like CA (Chromatic Aberration) from the lens optics.

I'd love to know what you think of the 8mm, been looking at the Samyaang/Rokinon lens myself.

Nice go for such a short exposure. Infinity focus is hard with modern lenses, as infinity is not against the end stop.. it's back a bit... this is apparently to allow for thermal changes, the end result is... it's much tougher.

The blue around the stars looks like CA (Chromatic Aberration) from the lens optics.

I'd love to know what you think of the 8mm, been looking at the Samyaang/Rokinon lens myself.

Yes, I know that much about Canon lenses so I pull back a little, but sometimes I miss the mark. I like the Rokinon optics, a little to the extreme of a wide angle but produces an interesting effect and allows me to get more "in". It is only 3.5 , fixed, Manual, but I can take a picture in a second and any experience amanteur should, setting ISO, distance .... Back to the old days which gives me a feeling of being a real "pro", ja,ja... It is heavy, though, heavier than any of my lenses or the camera itself. I usually set it at infinity unless I am taking pictures at close range, say 5-3 feet and everyhthing comes into focus perfectly.

I will place some on a new album for your evaluation of the lens tonight. It was a good investment or $270, but in the other hand is not the kind of lens you use everyday unless you are on the mood for this kind of photography. But, if you don't have it, there are times you really need it. I researched wide angles for a while, specially in Adorama and Amazon or any place they have user reviews, and for the price and the use (20% 10%) it is a must have. I don't know the other one you mention, but I would search user reviews and keep a log. Good luck! I was not disappointed.

Archived