NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 Goto question

Just a quick one guys, ive been searching the web for information on this but i cant find anything concrete.

Do you have to polar align an Equtorial Goto mount ? as using long and lat on the keypad the mount should know where it is right ?

Or do i have to still point it north and polar align before using the Goto ?

It is essential that you polar align an equatorial goto mount to get it to track accurately. The coordinates only tell the handset where you are in the world not where the mount is pointing. The handset requires the mount to be starting from a known postion (normally counterweight pointing straight down and the telescope pointing at the North Celestial Pole) before alignment can begin. The mount also needs to be polar aligned so that the RA axis is aligned with the NCP.

Peter

Thanks guys,

I think to be on the safe side i will point it north and polar align it before running the 2 star alignment with the Goto as i want the tracking to be as accurate as possible for DSO imaging.

Archived