Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Odd tracking...

eddy

Hey guys, im not autoguiding yet so purely my tracking is all based on PA.

At the moment my subs are 60secs max as thats all i can manage without trails, 3 out of 5 subs are good, the other 2 show trailing, not much, couple of pixels....

Now is this bad PA or bad PEC? I know i dont have PEC on the motor drives, so pressume it could be this? Or is just the limits of the mount/motors?

EQ5 + Motor drives btw :)

Any advice welcomed! :)

Thanks

Could be either - if it's PE it will show up in the W/E direction. Poor PA is more likely to show up as an error in the N/S direction (I think?)

PEC is not something I've tried but I understand you can do it with EQMOD by recording a few full cycles of the gears with a webcam.

Ahh ok cool, i did have a 'tweak' toward the end of the session and try and get rid of the drifting but, no luck to be fair! LOL i think next time, ill spend a bit more time getting my PA right, it doesnt help that my polar scope is a little off anyway, that could be 1/2 the problem, i can manage 60sec subs, but would like to get upto 90sec if possible! :)

Is PEC worth doing without being in a fixed observatory? Probably not.

60 seconds isa pretty good, you could get longer by refining your PA and drift aligning.

Or forget about all that faff and go autoguiding instead :)

Finder guider/SPC900 would work well on the ED80. I bet Quatermass has it working as he has an almost identical setup to you. Drop him a PM and see how he's put it all together.

90 seconds is possible,thats the maximum i can get with my EQ5 and dual motors.Thats a 1m focal lenght on the 200p.Obviously PA needs to be spot on,or better drift align the scope and 90 second subs is a real possibility.Good luck

Thanks all for the comments and replies! :)

As far as drift alignment goes, i dont have a reticule of any sorts. Could i do this without a reticule? If so, any guidelines? :)

My PA is a little off, obviously, but i can get 60secs straight off, so its just a case of fine tuning for a bit i think. Ive got £150 to play with at the moment, now i know this isnt anywhere near enough to get me guiding, but where would i start? LOL Whats the most important thing for guiding? Scope? Camera? Mounts?

I was looking @ either:

Orion 50mm Guidescope

OR

SW 9x50 finder

Thanks again! ;)

+ £60 for USB guider interface

£160 basic autoguiding :)

I have a 50mm guidescope on the way now, and my eyes are peeled for a suitable webcam to use, so if anyone sees one, or can suggest 1 i can go out an buy that would be great! :)

Thanks for the replies! ;)

Archived