Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leeds Area

IainMcD

I live in Leeds, specifically the suburbs in the East, near Garforth.

I have next week off work, so clouds permitting, I'm going to drive out looking for good stargazing spots in my area. I think my best bet is to head east away from the city, towards Selby, and north towards Wetherby and Tadcaster. I'm going to aim for 15-30mins max from where I live.

If anyone is actually from this area and knows of any spots, do feel free to share, otherwise, I shall report back with my findings!

Does anyone meet up from this area at all?

• 2 months later...

Sutton Bank, near Thirsk (Google Earth/Maps YO7 2EH). It's only 30 miles away from me, but my oh my, simply astounding up there. Not sure how much of a trek it would be for you, but I recommend it. Freezing cold up on the hill (the very steep hill which Cars are scared of hill!) but worth it.

There's always the parking bay just before the hair-pin bend, "Saltergate Bank" on the A169 over the Nth Yk Moors ;) Terrific views when the skies are clear.

... a place called slipstones.just going on area's i climb at as they are usually in the middle of knowhere

- can I ask, is the dirt road and parking above the crag a private road requiring permission or is it open for access ?

Hi,

I have come across a few good spots a few miles north of Blubberhouses, off the A59 one of which is near Thuscross reservoir. Nice straight long roads on the journey there (from Harrogate).

• 4 months later...

There's always the parking bay just before the hair-pin bend, "Saltergate Bank" on the A169 over the Nth Yk Moors ;) Terrific views when the skies are clear.

- can I ask, is the dirt road and parking above the crag a private road requiring permission or is it open for access ?

sorry,just seen this.never seen a road above slipstones,just the one below it so i couldnt say for sure.

Archived