NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why so few astronomy shops?

JonnyP

We seem to have several small retailers, if I need something then I find I need to look round to locate it. My "route" usually being FLO, Sherwoods, Rother Valley, Green Witch.

I will always include TS in a search as the number of items they offer is far greater then all the previous 4 together. I am surprised that no UK retailer has gone down the same path of items offered. A lot are Chinese items, will agree they are not up to some of the top end scopes but most people are not in the market for an Astro Physics 160mm at several thousand pounds. TS sell items that I cannot seem to buy here also.

Also I find that some scopes at the budget end disappear when they seem to have good sales - Opticstar used to have a nice 80mm achro at around f/7.5, thats disappeared. The range of scopes offerd here can be limited - the latest WO GTF 102 has not appeared, StellarVue's seem rarer then hens teeth, anyone sell TMB scopes ? It can really be a case of flying to something like NEAF, picking up something there then bringing it back and owing to the deals offered it could well turn out no more costly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been puzzling me for a while because the closest astronomy shop to me must be in the south east of England, a good 4/5 hours drive away. As far as I'm aware there isn't one anywhere in Wales. .....

There's lots of top astro dealers within an hour's drive for me but dark skies are 4hrs away where nobody lives - strange isn't it. Now if you lived in the States chances are UPS is the only astro [delivery] man you'll see ! :police:

Re: Bikes vs Scopes - well, my bikes need a lot more consumables that I'd expect from a telescope! Lube, brake pads, chains, cassettes, cables, inner tubes, tyres, bottom brackets - and those are the things you expect to have to replace.

Look on a map of Australia and locate Western Australia. That's where I live. Now search for a shop......

There's ONE! An area comparable to Europe in size with only 1 shop!

And poor me doesn't trust online purchasing.

Interest free deals still would not increase sales per person in the long run in my opinion, once they get that big dob, what next? :(

build a home obs and get a bit sct of course :p. actually thats an i wish of mine hehe

Look on a map of Australia and locate Western Australia. That's where I live. Now search for a shop......

There's ONE! An area comparable to Europe in size with only 1 shop!

But having two shops for the five guys who live there seems a bit much... :tongue:

Hmm, thinking of the skies I saw in Western Australia, that's actually a real shame...

Archived