NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light with Quattro 10 CF

derrickf

I bought a Quattro 10 CF a couple of weeks ago only to discover thet there are no Baader coma correctors to be found in stock at any UK or German dealers and no clear picture of when they will be available again ;)

I placed a wanted ad on ABS and was lucky enough to find somebody with an unused MPCC that arrived yesterday. It was clear(ish) for a period last night so I did my best to get the spacing between camera and coma corrector somewhere close to the requisite 55mm and managed to grab some thin data of M101 through the intermittent whispy clouds.

This is my first foray into imaging with a newtonian having used a 12.5" RC and a variety of APOs for the last few years. I need to tweak the collimation, optimise the corrector to sensor spacing and find a way to fit a Robofocus (it's been years since I've focused using British Standard finger and thumb) but all in all the result promises some fun to be had with this scope.

The M101 below was captured using the 10CF with an SBIG ST2000 / CFW10 with Baader filters; exposures were:

L = 5 x 600s unbinned

R = G = B = 3 x 600s binned each filter.

Calibrated and stacked in MaxIm DL them post processed in PS CS2.

Clearly more data (and less cloud) needed but I'm impressed with the star colour for such a short integration time.

post-17094-13387775035_thumb.jpg

Very nice, looks like that 10CF is dong a good job! Good colour and detail! What's the line going from mid left to bottom right?

Well spotted ;) . Because I didn't have a great deal of data I didn't want to throw away a luminance sub that had a plane fly through it (see below) - stacking with SD mask in MaxIm did a reasonable job of subduing it

post-17094-133877750364_thumb.jpg

Archived