NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

trying to find Markarian's Chain

Quatermass

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have found it then mmm doesnt look like the pictures I googled of the chain with two main galaxys that make a face shape cant find the two bright blobs but I am closing in on it at least. cheers chaps. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Had a closer look, wow :o astrobin is very cool thanks for letting me know about it ;) Seems I was just a tad off the target, needed to go down to my right from the galaxy M90, Dam ;) so close after all that searching about.

I must get myself a proper diagonal for my Evostar ed80 so I can suss out the target first rather then laying on the floor and bending at awkward angles trying to find where I am.

Tried to get my canon connected to my laptop but gave up as the drivers were giving me grief and I wanted to make the most of my time rather then mess about with driver instillation. Still, glad I am closing in on my target now and tonight's looking promising. Galaxy hunting is a lot of fun ;)

Tried to get my canon connected to my laptop but gave up as the drivers were giving me grief and I wanted to make the most of my time rather then mess about with driver instillation. Still, glad I am closing in on my target now and tonight's looking promising. Galaxy hunting is a lot of fun ;)

I could also have included your remarks about the diagonal, as I use a right angle finder on my Nikon, and it is a LIFESAVER for me and my broken neck!

But what I really wanted to comment on was installing drivers and trying to figure out how a piece of software is supposed to work, is RAINY WEATHER work, isn't it ? ? ? :) :) ;)

Jim S.

Well my wonky back and wonky eyes are causing me much hassle but I think were getting somewhere now. I managed to install the correct drivers for my canon 350D and got it working with the software Astrophotography tool. Last night I had my budget guiding system working a treat on a practise run and used APT to view my images as they were taken. Very cool but it wont control my camera and take shots for me on bulb mode which is annoying.

Any one else got it working with a canon 350D?:) If you have can you pm me and tell me how please.

But could I find the Markarian Chain no I cant:( tryed for ages but just keep missing the right spot, I cant see any area that I can pin point for it and taking random shots to find it is not working, I am probably right near it but just not in the right place. M101 was like that just going up to high all the time until by chance I got it in the camera and sussed out where to aim.Sigh.. oh well at least it wasn't raining :)

350D and all Digic 2 cameras require a serial cable in order to make bulb exposures controlled by PC. APT can't avoid this limitation.

I have on 350D that am using for APT testing, so there is no problem to track down any issue with this model :)

By serial cable you mean th6 one that comes with the camera I take it. I have that attached to my pc and last night I took my subs and watched them come up on the preview screen used the magnification tool which was useful but I am still using the remote timer to take the shots and control the camera.

Well I am sitting here messing around with APT as its foggy out side and I put a plan in the planning section and it worked! Must just be me not understanding how the software works.

The one that comes with the camera is USB, you need it in order to set parameters and to download the images. Serial cable is one like this Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions If you are familiar with soldering you can make it yourself...

Im not sure I understand.. this serial cable from astronomiser replaces the usb cable I have with the camera?

If not then thats two cable from the camera no no that cant be right.

Let me start again, this serial cable plug into the 15 pin port on the back of my laptop then into my camera where the remote controller is now plugged in yes.. then I should be able to operate the camera correctly with APT.

Sorry I am not technically minded

Im not sure I understand.. this serial cable from astronomiser replaces the usb cable I have with the camera?

If not then thats two cable from the camera no no that cant be right.

You need both of them :) The USB is to set parameters and for downloading imaged. The serial cable replaces the intervalometer - controlling the bulb shutter...

ahhhhh APT ignore me lol i cant use it as the 300d is a digic 1 :) hence the timer i use

Sorry Gaz! :) From programming point of view 300D is other type of cameras ;) It is closer to the G series than to EOS when we speak for PC control...

Sorry Gaz! ;) From programming point of view 300D is other type of cameras ;) It is closer to the G series than to EOS when we speak for PC control...

its ok :) lol i know how old the 300d is and for what it can do its still very modern :)

one question then yoddha, is there anything in the pipeline for an update to apt that will help focus with the older cameras, how much an image is out sort of thing?

Yes, I'm the humble author :)

Thats good to know I will go and get that serial cable then so I can really get using APT and pay for the full version as I used it last night and enjoyed using it, so much better then having to bend over to look at my tiny canon screen to see what I was doing.

Great job on a cool programme:)

its ok :) lol i know how old the 300d is and for what it can do its still very modern :)

one question then yoddha, is there anything in the pipeline for an update to apt that will help focus with the older cameras, how much an image is out sort of thing?

Gaz, I don't tell that 300D is old or bad. It is good camera, but can't be controlled like the other models... I don't have close plans to support this model. One of the main problems is that I don't have sample to use for tests. Maybe it is better to start watching for a good deal in eBay ;)

Thats good to know I will go and get that serial cable then so I can really get using APT and pay for the full version as I used it last night and enjoyed using it, so much better then having to bend over to look at my tiny canon screen to see what I was doing.

Great job on a cool programme:)

Many thanks! :)

Archived